Good bolt-action target/plinker

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

tackdriver1980
    (12/12/02 4:57:19 pm)
    Reply Good bolt-action target/plinker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm looking for a good bolt-action 22 for informal target shooting and practice. I've got a few criteria; under 300 USD, heavy barrel, full-size synthetic or laminate stock, about 1 MOA accurate or better with target ammo. Sights are a plus but not necessary. Basically, I want an accurate shooter with the handling feel of a centerfire rifle. So far I've been considering the varmint/target variants of the Ruger 77/22, Marlin 25 and Savage MkII. Any suggestions?

corpis66
    (12/12/02 5:24:30 pm)
    Reply Re: Good bolt-action target/plinker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Savage bolt action...i use for 100 yrd shooting...i haven't been able to yet put all 5 shots through the same hole...but my uncle can put 4 out of 5 in the same slot. i also have a simmons 4x12 scope to see things nice and clear...tis possibly the most comphy .22 bolt action i've ever handled.

oneshot
    (12/13/02 2:49:32 am)
    Reply .22
    I heard from several that love the Czech bolt action rifle in .22LR. I forgot the model number but it's about $150 and looks good and those that shoot them say it shoots better than the customized 10/22 they sank so much money into costomizing.

Pistols the best all around gun in my opinion is the Ruger MKII. I have a 5-1/2" Bull barrel MKII Target model that I did and action job on and I have goten a 1" group at 100 yards with it. Most groups average 1-1/2" to 2" from sand bags, good scope, and good ammo, and steady hand. I had a T/C in .22 it was a bit boring, though I never put a scope on it. A T/C in .22 Hornet would be cool since T/C claims it's capable of 1/2" groups at 100yards with factory ammo.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/13/02 8:38:56 am)
    Hi tackdriver, corpus66, and oneshot......Welcome to TFF guys!

It's great to see new members posting and contributing to the forum.

Hope you'll visit all of our forums.....and jump in with both feet it you've got advice or opinions!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/13/02 9:41:28 pm)
    Welcome to the forum.

Put your $$ in a 77/22. You won't be sorry.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/13/02 10:07:31 pm)
    Sure like my Mossberg US44, meets all your requirements and has peep-sights too.....26" heavy barrel and one heck of a sight radius....about 30 inches, will shoot shorts too.

WELCOME

LTS