1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Good Bowie/Hunting knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by .38domination, Jun 23, 2012.

1. .38domination

.38domination New Member

I'm in the market for a good bowie/hunting knife again and was wondering what knives you all have or what ones you guys like. I'm leaning toward a Colt with an 11 1/2 inch blade with a wood and brass handel.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I've seen the Colts advertised in SMKW catalogs they sure look nice, but I have no ideal of the steel the chinese use in the less expensive knifes. On their better knives it seems to be OK. IMO a bowie knife makes a lousy hunting knife, to big to do anything with. I know there are those who say they can skin a squirrel with one, but not me. In my experience a good hunting knife has a 4 inch blade ( give or take a 1/2 inch ), a good point to pierce the hide, and enough belly to do the skinning. You should be able to use the same knife for slicing food, shaving wood to start the fire and the hundred other things you use a knife for. The bowie (Again IMO) is almost useless for any of those chores. In all my times in the woods I only carried a bowie one time before I retired it. A thick bladed bowie is almost useless for any camping chores other than cutting brush and even then a good hatchet or tomahawk is better. I know that doesn't answer your question about which bowie is better but there you have it.:)
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well said.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 Member

+2
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

+3 I like a big ol heavy Bowie hafted in antler...........for show. It goes well with my custom Hawken and Buffalo possibles bag. For a real hunting/skinning knife tho I like a three inch thin blade and really prefer a modern soft grip that doesn't get slick with blood like wood or antler does.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This is mine:

Attached Files:

7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Everybody that I know who used to carry Bowie's, combat knives and/or bayonets into the wood learned quickly that they were heavy and of limited use. I have carried a Case or Schrade folder and a buck 4 1/2" skinning knife since the 70's and have yet to need anything bigger. In my camp I have a whet stone, a file, a saw, bone saw and an axe but not to carry around with me. If you need a big hacking knife carry a machete or a khukuri but keep your hunting knife to a more reasonable size. At the end of the day you will appreciate not having to carry the extra weight and you will have a knife on you that is actually useful for field dressing deer, dove, squirrels or cleaning fish.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Had a 8 inch Bowie made a few years back, modern damascus I guess you'd call it. I use it all the time out hunting, from chopping, cutting, to cutting necks of caribou flailing around on the ground; luv the Bowie. I never noticed the weight factor, but mostly hunting off 4 wheeler & snowmachine.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Another that has not had a problem with the weight of the knife. The weight problem I have is having to carry all the other tools that are needed for the camp sight. The Bowie will just about do it all, no other tools needed. It will chop wood, drive tent stakes, sking a critter, cut meat, or bones, and I can eat with it! it's one the best SD knives out there, and was designed to do the job that all the other tools do. Does the Bowie come in as the best tool at any of these individual tasks? No, but try chopping fire wood with a 4" blade, or drive tent stakes with one!
  10. Big_Bullet

Big_Bullet New Member

Glock 81. Pure genius design, with a saw back spine that won't cut you if you slip but is very useful for sawing branches. I've chopped down 3" diameter trees with it to clear a shooting lane for bow hunting, and it stayed sharp. The sheath design is the best I have ever seen. The sheath alone is worth the thirty dollar price tag of the knife and sheath. It's one piece of molded polymer, that can fasten onto a belt without undoing your belt, which makes it ideal for carrying upside down on the webbing of my tree climbing harness so I can access it quickly in case a big kitty wants to eat me, since I can’t legally carry a gun while bow hunting.

BB