Good defense Weapon Combination?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Larry G, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Larry G

Larry G New Member

A Good Defense Weapon Combination?

After receiving a lot of good advice previously from the good folks in this forum, I have a couple of questions before I purchase my home defense weapons. First of all, I have just about settled on a Mossberg pump 935 9 shell, short barrel 12g shotgun. My selection was mostly due to the shell capacity. What would be a reasonable price for this shot gun brand new?
    The second issue. My neighbor has a nearly new 9mm Browning semi-auto pistol with 2 clips. Again, what would be a decent price for this pistol? Thanks
  2. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Re: A Good Defense Weapon Combination?

Sorry, the shotgun model is the 590, not a 935.
  3. Re: A Good Defense Weapon Combination?

Larry,

First off, welcome to TFF! :D

The Mossberg 590 is an excellent shotgun for the purposes you describe. These are often used both by the military and police. Pricing will, of course, vary a great deal depending on location. For a new Mossberg, you are probably looking at somewhere around $350.00, give or take.

As for the 9mm, more info is needed before any reasonable answer could be given. What model Browning are you being offered? How old is it? What is its overall condition? Generally speaking, Browning firearms are first class weapons.
  4. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Your best home defense weapon would be a cell phone.

Call the police if you have a problem and don't take situations into your own hands.

You can buy any old Mossberg shotgun, because they will all hold a bunch of shells - and it does not have to ba a tatical model.

That will put you in the $125 - $175 range.

Same deal with the pistol.

Your buying something that you seem to know nothing about.

You never owned a pistol and chances are you never even shot a pistol - yet you feel the need to own one..

The old Lynard Skynard song comes to mind, Saturday Night Special.
    Where they sing;

Hand guns are made for killin’
    Ain’t no good for nothin’ else
    And if you like your whiskey
    You might even shoot yourself
    So why don’t we dump ’em people
    To the bottom of the sea
    Before some fool come around here
    Wanna shoot either you or me..

More people get shot with their own guns than by home invaders..
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Yeah, you could cower under the bed while you place the call...Good plan. :rolleyes:

Larry

Sounds like a couple good choices...

I'll side with Pistolenschutze on this one regarding the shottie...Get back with us and provide more info on the pistol if possible.

And welcome to the club. :)

Crpdeth
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Call the Police, you got to be kidding, you better have another backup plan in place.I would call the police with a gun in my hand to take care of myself before they arrived. BTW I am a Deputy Sheriff,and that is the reason why I would not trust my life to 911 for I have seen the real world.
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I would agree with Dawg 100%. Further, pursuant to several recent court decisions, LEOs and their respective departments DO NOT HAVE A LEGAL OBLIGATION to protect the individual. These cases all hold that any obligation is, rather, to the or for the good of the community as a whole.....

Just plain ole good common sense should tell you that the burglar or other threat is right there NOW, and, unless an LEO is on the street right in front of your house when the call goes out, the burglar/rapist/murderer will have his dastardly deed completed long before any LEO might arrive. In most cases, one is lucky to see an officer within 15 minutes to an hour !!!!

I, too, speak from experience having worked the street nights in a capitol city back in the mid-sixties. I have responded to such calls for aid only to find the victim left behind and the criminal perpetrator long gone!
  8. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. When I contact my neighbor later this weekend, I will indeed get the model of the pistol. I'm sorry, but I must make a comment to Mr. Rifleman. Thanks, but I know the response time of our local police and am not totally impressed. That's ok. And as far as my experience, I was a Gunner's Mate in the US Nave during Viet Nam, but my assigned weapon was a BAR. Yes, I am familiar with a pistol, just not the Browning 9mm model. I asked questions because I am a firm believer that 'two (or more) heads are better than one' and I appreciate others people's experience and advice on topics I don't know or have forgotten. Viet Nam was how long ago? So, I have forgotten a lot of my weapons training, it happens as you get older. In the same theme, Mr. Rifleman, I am not ignorant of my lack of current training or experience in these weapons I'm asking about. There are several facilities, not far from my house, for shooting (indoor and outdoor ranges), classes on firearm safety, maintenance and cleaning of weapons and other necessary courses. I fully intend to take advantage of them all, along with LOTS of practice to get me back into form.
    I am not gathering an arsenal, I don't need one. If there is no pressing and immediate need to protect my loved ones and property, I see no harm in 'banging off' some rounds at the range with both weapons.
    Thank you also for the rest of the input about the costs, I just needed a ball park amount so that I am informed when I make my purchase. I will let you know about the Browning. Larry
  9. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Donny, thanks for your PM welcome message, I replied via PM also back to you. And thanks to the others who also welcomed me. Larry
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Forgive me LarryG for not saying welcome to the best site on the web.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Mighty happy to have you at TFF, Larry.

Attached Files:

12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

What's it like up their in the Dream world where 911 acutally helps you in that situation, For those of us not in La La land we have to take matter into our own hands, 911 can be 15 minutes away
  13. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Geeeez, I'm all for education, gun safety courses, and weapons training, but you've taken abundant caution into the realm of outright disarming! Is that the advice you really meant to give this nice newcomer, eh, Mr. Rifleman? Frankly, this is the sort of counsel I expect to hear from anti-gunners or spokespeople for the Hillary Clinton for President campaign.

To our new friend I say... welcome, take a gun safety course, shop around, ask lots of questions about a lot of different models, shoot several different styles and brands, start with smaller calibers (.380 or 9mm) and become very proficient before moving up to the larger calibers.

Oh, and based upon the response given above, I wouldn't take any advice on the subjects of guns, investing, love, gardening, interior decoration, cooking, or personal hygene from The Rifleman.

Good luck!
  14. Re: A Good Defense Weapon Combination?

Very well said, Pat. You may as well call the Psychic Hot Line as the police in that kind of scenerio. That's no slam at the police; it's simply not possible for uniformed officers, no matter how dedicated they are, to be seconds away from everywhere all the time. Face it, and prepare well for your own defense if you hope to survive in the real world.
  15. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Larry,

Check your Private Messages.

Berto64
  16. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Welcome Larry, Won't try to give you more advice, nuff said already.

Let me take the liberty of asking Mr Rifleman," post a positive message or just...DON"T "
  17. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'm going to ignore the rest of the drivel-ridden post and concentrate on this little gem right here....

This is a provably-false statement. It has its basis in a study on gun crime, wherein it was discovered that a person was more likely to be shot in their own home with a firearm than if they had no gun.

What most people fail to follow that statement up with is "if you share a home with a convicted felon or illegal drug user."

That's the dirty little secret the anti-gunners don't tell you about that particular little statistic.

From that little incomplete quote, someone extrapolated that, if you're more likely to be shot in your own home if you own a firearm, you MUST be more likely to be shot with your OWN firearm.
  18. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thank you all for the excellent welcomes. I will be 'around' and will post a topic now and then. I tend to say a little and only when I think it's worthwhile asking or commenting on something, but I do read a lot and will be reading quite a few of the posts here in the forum for additional knowledge. I admit that my knowledge of the new firearms is limited (post-Viet Nam era) and I have not used any type of weapon since that time, however I fully intend to correct that situation now.
    Since this is a General Topic discussions, I can safely assume it is not limited to only firearms. On a more personal note, I was wondering if any of you good people are at all concerned with this Bird flu and if you are considering preparing for a possible flu pandemic? Larry
  19. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Sorry, a couple of last items. I did purchase two new Mossberg 590 12 pump action gauge shotguns for $330 each, several boxes of #1 shot shells and a couple of boxes of slugs. Also the dealer has a new Beretta 90-two semi-automatic for sale which I have not purchased as yet. I was told it was fired only a few times, but I have no way of verifying this or what may be a reasonable price. Any thoughts?
  20. Good choice on the 590s, Larry. Mossberg makes a fine combat shotgun and I doubt you will be disappointed.

On the pistol, the 90-two is similar to, but a little less expensive than, the more familiar Mod 92 that is the current military sidearm for U.S. forces. In terms of size, they are rather close and both are double/single action pistols and both quality handguns. The main difference between the 90-two and the older Mod 92 is the grip shape, more rounded, more snag-free design of the exterior of the gun, and supposedly a new recoil buffer design that will give the pistol longer life.

MSRP on the 90-two is $700.00; on the Mod 92 it is $750.00. I have a Mod 92FS and have found it to be a highly reliable and accurate pistol. The only thing I don't like about it is its size. It is a rather bulky firearm for the relatively light round it fires. What is your dealer asking for the pistol? You need to inspect the pistol carefully, especially the bore and bolt face, for signs of wear or abuse before you purchase.