Good digital scales

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by starman, Jun 7, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

Any recommendations on a good accurate digital scale with out breaking the bank. I have the Lee ballance scale and I'm not sure if I trust it. I believe the digitals should be faster and hopefully as accurate or even more so than the ballance type.

Thanks
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I uses the RCBS Rangemaster 750, it's been 100% reliable. As with ANY scale, a set of check weights it critical. There's no reason not to trust the balance scales, they're just a little slower and you have to be able to read them properly. I've got a 20+ yr old Ohaus that I have for a back-up, I trust it completely...... as soon as I've put the check wts on it !
  4. starman

starman New Member

Thanks to all I'll check them out.
  5. DKA

DKA New Member

I bought a Digitec and it has worked fine, even though I check it regularly with my Beam Scales. Digitec makes several different scales, be sure that you get the ones that measure in grains and that will measure grains in 100th.
  6. davem

davem New Member

check out pact. they make the scales for rcbs,i know i have a rcbs and right on the back it has its mfg. sticker and say mfg. by pact. evidently gray plastic is cheaper than rcbs green because the pact price is lower.
  7. 3ME

3ME New Member

I have a Dillon digital and one of the Lyman 1200 DPS powder dispenser/scales combos. Love them both. My Dillon scales were the original version that they released 15 years ago, or so. They went bad and I sent them back to Dillon for repair. They sent me a brand new, current model, set of scales at no charge. The only down side, if there truly is a down side, is that the current model of Dillon scales only have a 1 year warranty instead of the lifetime warranty my old ones had.

RCBS makes a stand-alone set of scales that also interfaces with an electronic powder dispenser. That one always seemed like the best of both worlds, and it might be worth checking into. The Lyman works great, and I recommend it.
  8. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Just courious as to why you would want to measure grains in 100th? That would probably be less than one piece of extruded or ball powder?
  9. DKA

DKA New Member

It was mistake, meant tenths.
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Thanks, had me concerned that I was missing something. I have the RCBS digital with the powder dispenser. Slower than a powder measurer but dead on each time. I use the powder measure when loading for pistol and weigh each tenth round to verify. I use the digital for all rifle loads although I probably don't need to do so.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have a lyman digital scale and a lee balance beam. Both are accurate and like mr. wooleyworm stated, get some check weights...
  12. starman

starman New Member

Lot of good Idea's I check them out.

Woolleyworm did you get my picture of my press.?
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

no, not yet, email sent, to make sure I put my email in correctly.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009