Good ideas?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Jun 21, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Pistols thread 'Words of wisdom' c/o Clint Smith made me think, what lessons have we learned that would be of use to others finding themselves in a difficult situation or actual armed contact.

I heard of a guy being interviewed by his boss after a shooting who, when asked what he was thinking during the contact replied 'front sight, front sight, front sight'.

Cant say if the story is true, but it sounds good advice.

For myself, I would say the words 'get angry' have helped a lot. Most of us are by nature gentle people who would be reluctant to hurt another. 'Get angry' seems to work.

Anyone else have any useful lessons they have learned?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  2. One of the most important I think, Tranter, is to force yourself to focus on the potential threat; that's obvious, but also to be situationally aware of your surroundings as well. Notice carefully, for example, what lies behind the assailant because you may have to shoot and you must know if you can do so safely without undue danger to innocent bystanders. And most especially you need to be aware of whether there is potentially more than one threat present . . . you might have to shoot more than once!

Yeah, and focusing on the front sight is definitely right. At 20 feet or less, that's the only one that matters.
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Thought real hard on that one Martin,
    thought back and realized the thoughts in my head were
    watch him, watch him
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Very simple..FRONT SIGHT
  5. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Anger clouds your perception, concentration and reactions.

Latigo
  6. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Take the safety off... ;)
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Him or me! Him or me! Him or me! Him or me!
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What's a safety??? :(

Decocked.... One in the Hole - actually 3 safeties used here, the brain, the training and the DA pull. Probably already a thread on this subject, I'm going to have to do some searching as see what I can find.
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

OK, I can help here, its also called a 'holster'. :)
  10. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I should of mentioned i carry a 1911...
  11. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the first paragraph is that statement...

As far as "front sight" is concerned, IF, repeat, IF you can see it you don't want to get consumed by it i.e mentally escaping into the sight.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Maybe I've got some bad habits, I'm no expert, and surely haven't had the training some of you have had, no training here at all really. But I don't look for sights at 20' or less. My technech is self taught, and I point shoot. I fix on the place I want my bullet to go, and fire at that point, thinking my bullet to the target. Is this a bad idea? Works great on targets!
  13. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Stay calm, keep moving or get cover, what is between you and the target, is there any other threats around, what is beyond the target, safety off (if not using a glock :D) and trigger squeeze.

If you take out the gun stuff it is almost the same mind set as you need for hand to hand.
  14. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

That is why range time is so important. You have to be so in tuned with your weapon, everything that happens must be instinct. That can only come from putting rounds down range.
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Absolutely correct. Instinct. Big bad guy steps out in front of you with knife, or gun in hand, bang, bang. Thats your gun, not his and your at the ready position looking for his friends. He never got pass 'give me your wallet'. And like not realising you drove some of the route to work, it all just happened as it has so many times before.

Controversial? There are times and places where it's the only way.
  16. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Anything you have to take the time to think about may have used up the time you needed to keep from getting killed.