1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Good inside the pants holster...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/26/01 9:27:20 pm)
    Reply Good Inside the pants holster....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recently started carrying my old IPSC 5" gun again as my CCW, thought it was time to carry a "real" gun.

My old Rogers Pancake hip front-break works just fine with a jacket, but I got spoiled with my Makarov, wear a lot of sweaters and light shirts.

Any suggestions for an inside the pants holster? Prefer one with a strap, I don't trust safeties when they rub my side...

Started carrying it just stuck in the belt, think I need to go back to a standard safety, and a smoother grip safety, darn thing really digs in the side, especially in a car or sitting down.

But on a good note, hadn't fired it in almost 10 years, took it out back today and put a few mags through it, some hardball, JHP, 185 gr JSWC factory, and some mixed reloads, RNL and 200 gr HG #68s, fed them and spit them just fine, felt like old times. Even deposited some empties right on my head, I forgot it did that sometimes...brought back the memories.

Gonna have to get out the dies and load some up for it.
    (Need to work on the double-taps again...)
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (9/29/01 6:29:05 pm)
    Reply Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polishshooter, check out www.wilsoncombat.com , they have an excellent IWB holster. I use their Lo-Profile holster everyday for conceiled carry and it's very comfortable also.
    I used a Milt Sparks Summer Special for years and like the Wilson line better.

polishshooter
    (9/29/01 7:57:31 pm)
    I'm using an el-cheapo Uncle Mikes now that I modified a little (Sewed it up for a custom fit) and it's working as well as can be expected for the price.

I got it for 50% off, less than $5, so I couldn't pass...my company was clearancing them out in store that carried guns, so I got my 10% employee discount on top of it...

Before I spend more on a holster, I need to install a commander hammer and a smoother extended grip safety...they bite into the side a little too much especially when sitting...and I drive around 1000 miles a week.

I saw a neat looking Desantis IWB holster, with a built in mag pouch in the front in a magazine recently, anybody try it yet?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/29/01 10:26:18 pm)
    Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    PS,

Yes, get the DeSantis, I have sold them the most
    out of any holster, their IWB holster w/Mag Pouch
    is almost like wearing nothing, personally I only
    wear DeSantis as it is the only IWB that I have
    never had a problem with while sitting/driving
    or anything, sometimes I have to feel to make
    sure I have it on, the clip is also reversable
    for L or R or IW-Cross Draw.

I may have one NIB left for your gun, when I get
    unpacked all the way I'll see if I have it, if I do
    you can have it.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 9/29/01 11:29:29 pm

needleace
    (10/1/01 5:48:36 pm)
    One more you might check is the smartcarry. Check it out- smartcarry.com. I don't own one at present, but it shows a lot of promise for the money (approx. $40). Found it while surfing around the links at shooters.com

M Opaliski
    (10/2/01 6:51:09 pm)
    Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    I am using a belly band as of late with my Wilson, with good results I might add. A good belt is key.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

polishshooter
    (10/6/01 9:06:11 am)
    Yeah, found a problem I need to fix this weekend...my front sight is pretty high sharp/squared (90*)in the back, got a nice sight picture, and for the past 18 years or so I laughed at guys who complained of front sights snagging, if any would it would be mine. Never had a problem snagging in the Rogers... DUH, it's a "front break," even though I always came out the top...what a Polak.

Practicing with the cheap Uncle Mike's, it's snagging sometimes.

Gonna have to get out my file set and ramp it...

To everyone over the years I argued with that snagging was only due to "poor technique," I humbly apologize...

bassmaster32
    (2/9/02 2:06:12 am)
    Milt Sparks VERSA MAX 2 IS THE BEST.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:23:33 am)
    Welcome Bassmaster.....do ya shoot Largemouth or Smallmouth?

Polish....my favorite carry holster is an old, thin, soft leather inside-the-pants one I bought at a flea market (many years ago) for 1 buck. It was made for a 2" revolver. I cut the bottom off, and voila! it fit my LW Commander perfectly.

After many years, the inside (next to the body) portion was wearing thru. Being a cheap Yankee, I took it to the local shoemaker and had him sew on another (slightly thicker) piece of leather (cost 2 bucks).

It looks like hell, but still works beautifully.....and best of all, I've gotten 30 years' use out of it for $3.00!