Good inside the pants holster...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/26/01 9:27:20 pm)
    Reply Good Inside the pants holster....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recently started carrying my old IPSC 5" gun again as my CCW, thought it was time to carry a "real" gun.

My old Rogers Pancake hip front-break works just fine with a jacket, but I got spoiled with my Makarov, wear a lot of sweaters and light shirts.

Any suggestions for an inside the pants holster? Prefer one with a strap, I don't trust safeties when they rub my side...

Started carrying it just stuck in the belt, think I need to go back to a standard safety, and a smoother grip safety, darn thing really digs in the side, especially in a car or sitting down.

But on a good note, hadn't fired it in almost 10 years, took it out back today and put a few mags through it, some hardball, JHP, 185 gr JSWC factory, and some mixed reloads, RNL and 200 gr HG #68s, fed them and spit them just fine, felt like old times. Even deposited some empties right on my head, I forgot it did that sometimes...brought back the memories.

Gonna have to get out the dies and load some up for it.
    (Need to work on the double-taps again...)
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (9/29/01 6:29:05 pm)
    Reply Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polishshooter, check out www.wilsoncombat.com , they have an excellent IWB holster. I use their Lo-Profile holster everyday for conceiled carry and it's very comfortable also.
    I used a Milt Sparks Summer Special for years and like the Wilson line better.

polishshooter
    (9/29/01 7:57:31 pm)
    I'm using an el-cheapo Uncle Mikes now that I modified a little (Sewed it up for a custom fit) and it's working as well as can be expected for the price.

I got it for 50% off, less than $5, so I couldn't pass...my company was clearancing them out in store that carried guns, so I got my 10% employee discount on top of it...

Before I spend more on a holster, I need to install a commander hammer and a smoother extended grip safety...they bite into the side a little too much especially when sitting...and I drive around 1000 miles a week.

I saw a neat looking Desantis IWB holster, with a built in mag pouch in the front in a magazine recently, anybody try it yet?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/29/01 10:26:18 pm)
    Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    PS,

Yes, get the DeSantis, I have sold them the most
    out of any holster, their IWB holster w/Mag Pouch
    is almost like wearing nothing, personally I only
    wear DeSantis as it is the only IWB that I have
    never had a problem with while sitting/driving
    or anything, sometimes I have to feel to make
    sure I have it on, the clip is also reversable
    for L or R or IW-Cross Draw.

I may have one NIB left for your gun, when I get
    unpacked all the way I'll see if I have it, if I do
    you can have it.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 9/29/01 11:29:29 pm

needleace
    (10/1/01 5:48:36 pm)
    One more you might check is the smartcarry. Check it out- smartcarry.com. I don't own one at present, but it shows a lot of promise for the money (approx. $40). Found it while surfing around the links at shooters.com

M Opaliski
    (10/2/01 6:51:09 pm)
    Re: Good Inside the pants holster....
    I am using a belly band as of late with my Wilson, with good results I might add. A good belt is key.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

polishshooter
    (10/6/01 9:06:11 am)
    Yeah, found a problem I need to fix this weekend...my front sight is pretty high sharp/squared (90*)in the back, got a nice sight picture, and for the past 18 years or so I laughed at guys who complained of front sights snagging, if any would it would be mine. Never had a problem snagging in the Rogers... DUH, it's a "front break," even though I always came out the top...what a Polak.

Practicing with the cheap Uncle Mike's, it's snagging sometimes.

Gonna have to get out my file set and ramp it...

To everyone over the years I argued with that snagging was only due to "poor technique," I humbly apologize...

bassmaster32
    (2/9/02 2:06:12 am)
    Milt Sparks VERSA MAX 2 IS THE BEST.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:23:33 am)
    Welcome Bassmaster.....do ya shoot Largemouth or Smallmouth?

Polish....my favorite carry holster is an old, thin, soft leather inside-the-pants one I bought at a flea market (many years ago) for 1 buck. It was made for a 2" revolver. I cut the bottom off, and voila! it fit my LW Commander perfectly.

After many years, the inside (next to the body) portion was wearing thru. Being a cheap Yankee, I took it to the local shoemaker and had him sew on another (slightly thicker) piece of leather (cost 2 bucks).

It looks like hell, but still works beautifully.....and best of all, I've gotten 30 years' use out of it for $3.00!