Good Morning All

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Nov 25, 2007.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I didn't sleep all that well last night dreamed to much and was up and down most of the night I know that I ate to many turnips yesterday :rolleyes: And trying to install the 12 foot stringers in my ceiling is a pain
    I got three up and will try again today, but holding a 12 ft 1 x 6 and trying to screw it inpalce isn't easy. I tried to find a teenager to hire but they laughed at me for offering them $10.00 an hour or just didn't want to work. I refuse to hire a stranger because I wouldn't have a dang thing left in the building within two weeks :mad:
  2. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Well good morning, Sir. I slept ok, but just woke up, slept out. Are you rying to hang these stringers flat? Or vertical like a floor joist? I hung 8' 2x4's in our machine shed for the ceiling between 8' O.C. trusses, but I simply hung joist hangers on one truss, dropped the 2/4 in the joist hanger on that end, and nailed through the truss on the other end with ring shank nails. Then I just had to toe nail the end with the hanger, and continue down the line. If you are hanging these flat on the bottom side of the ceiling framing members (attic joist, truss, rafter, etc.) We'll (those of us here in the forum) have to think about that for a few, but there's got to be a similar simple crutch for holding one end where you want it.
  3. Good morning Ron. Turnip dreams, eh? I can see what eating those would cause nightmares. :D
  4. 358 winchester

Hanging them flat over head with the joist on 4 foot centers, But the good news is that I have just hung the last one not five minutes ago. Only took me FIVE HOURS to get ten of them hung :rolleyes: All I have to do now is screw the ends to one wall and I will be ready to hang the ceiling. I am using 4' x 8' x 1/2" OSB for the ceiling painted white before it goes up and yes I do have some help lined up for that day, I hope:)
  5. Ron, all kidding aside, are you purposely building this addition to be more or less hurricane proof, or at least as close to that as possible? Considering where you live in the Florida Panhandle, that is always a valid concern.
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

ron ~ if we lived closer, i'd send james over to help you w/ that.
  7. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

This may be just a difference in interpretation, what you are calling stringers may be what I call stripping. I assume you are doing this to turn the direction you are installing the OSB. 4 foot O.C. means you are splitting the 1 x 6 so you can use half to fasten on one sheet and half to fasten the other? If so you might want to think about adding at least one 1 x 3 in the middle of each run. 4' O.C. is a long span for osb and if this is your primary ceiling you are going to notice quit a bit of sag between the 1 x 6's over time. The 1/2" osb only has a 24" span rating. Not trying to be nosy, but I have 30 years in the building supply business. Adding the 1 x3 will make for a smoother ceiling, another thing to consider with osb is the expansion. If you keep the AC on all the time time shouldn't be a problem. If you like to open up you might want to consider leaving 1/8" gap on sheets and use battens between to hide. You only fasten to one side this will allow the sheets to expand and contract without notice. If you butt the joints tight the ceiling may buckle when the osb expands. If this is just a utility area then you don't need the battens, but I would recommend adding the additional 1 x 3's.
  8. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Hey one other thing, if you have to put up 1 x's again. Make a couple of "L" brackets(see pic) Snap your line on the ceiling joist position brackets and away you go. If you have qiuck-clamps it's even quicker. Not as fun as having someone to talk to but beats the heck outta swearing at nobody when your trying to hold up a long board and fasten by yourself. scan.jpg

Drawing kinda crude but it works.

Jake
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

If we lived closer, I'd come over and watch.
    That has to be a sight to see.

Oh wait, I have done that, it was not fun.........nevermind.

Mornin to all.
  10. 358 winchester

Jakster
    The 1x 6 's are on two foot centers running east to west they are attached to the block wall on the west end a the wood wall on the east the joist are 3" x 12" x 24 ' running north to south, and they are on 4 foot centers the 1 x 6 is also screwed to them as well.
    the 3 x 12 is braced to the roof with five one bys the roof is 1x4 tongue and grove with a twenty year shingle and topped with 16 ga. steel roof. 90% of all the old lumber is heart of pine or just as dang hard, every hole has to be drilled before a screw will go in and for get using a hammer & nails, I don't own a nail gun
  11. 358 winchester

And it is just a gun / reloading room in an older detached garage so it only has to be dry and clean not PRETTY :D :D ;) nothing was square when I started so I am doing the best I can :rolleyes:
  12. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Sounds like you got it under control, been out to look at too many DIY'er jobs on ceiling where they did space 48" oc. Called to say the sheathing was bad, most weren't happy to be told they had put it up wrong. Nail gun sure would have made short work on the 1 x 6's. Hand nailing and screw are as you have mentioned time consuming.

Good luck with the project

Jake