Good Morning??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bunnyhunter12, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Good morning, I guess. I'm off to work and I've been awake for 27.5 hours, so wish me luck. I really got to get back on a regular sleep schedule.

Bring on the coffee and cigarettes please. It's a sailor's breakfast for me.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Good morning BH. :)

Yeah....I know all about those "sailor's breakfasts". A cuppa Navy Mud & a Pall Mall.....but when you watch the sunrise comin' up on the portside and breathe the fresh clean air of the sea.....kinda a nice way to start the day.
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Tell me about it X, spent a summer working on tugs with Atlantic Towing. Funny thing was, Cookie wouldn't let me out through the hatch with out about five pounds of good grub in my gut every morning no matter how long ago Chief called for me in the engine room. So much for a SAILOR'S breakfast and thank God I'm genetically immune to sea-sickness being raised on the ocean.

Tourists around here always ask about that sweet smell in our air. My answer is simple, "Salt".
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Morning all I was busy doing the household chores and getting ready for the wife to come home.
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Salt :confused: I would tell them it was SEA GULL FARTS:eek: :D :D
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, BH.....I'm an old Tugger too! U.S.S. Nipmuc (ATF-157) outta Newport, Rhode Island ( http://www.nafts.net/nipmuc.htm )

This is a shot of the Nipmuc alongside the pier at Thule, Greenland, when we took her up there in the summer of 1958 to lay moorings for a pipeline: http://www.nafts.net/images/Ships pics/ATF/Nipmuc/Nipmuc7.jpg

We hit some real rough weather off your Grand Banks.....green water up to the bridge and 45 degree rolls.....but when we finally got into the pack ice, everything became smooth as glass.

I remember one beautiful morning at sunrise....about 0200 in those northern latitudes.....standing on the deck with my cuppa Navy Mud & a Pall Mall....watching the rising sun turning the tops of the icebergs to gold.....what an absolutely gorgeous sight!!!!
  7. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

That's a fine looking ship X. I mostly worked the new fangled Z-Drive tractor tugs, but spent some weeks onboard an old ice class, the Atlantic Birch, 3700 horsepower built 1967. They bounced me from ship to ship whenever an extra man was needed.

Speaking of Greenland, I'm reading Ice Brothers by Sloan Wilson for the third time right now. I've never been there but my father has.

He is, as I type, bobbing around on the Grand Banks on a 14,400 horsepower anchor-handling tug as cheif engineer. He used to go to the Arctic in his younger days. He's very well versed in taking green over the bow and icing up nearly to the point of capsizing. He also tells many good stories about polar bears and endless days, Eskimos and Northern Lights.

I know, for myself that I've never been so happy working 12 to 16 hour days as when I was at sea. "Oh it's a sailor's life for me." I'm not one for sunrises though, that's why I'm going engine room.
  8. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

So here's the rundown. When I started this thread it was a 0813 hours, I had been awake for 27.5 hours, I went to work for 0900 and I worked eight hours, came home and had supper (or dinner if you prefer) and tried to get some sleep. No go on the sleep, so here it is 0245 , I have to be at work in five hours AND I STILL HAVEN'T SLEPT. This cannot be healthy. My circadian rhythm is all messed up, I'm at work when my body thinks its bed time and I want to sleep when my body won't let me because it time to be awake. Can't wait to start on night shift one night a week and have the rest be day shifts. I'll never get sorted out.
  9. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I had the no sleep problem when I worked shifts, a nice bottle of brandy, a shot glass and pink floyds dark side of the moon...take a shot, lay down and play floyd...worked every time