The Firearms Forum banner

Good News and Bad News From The Range

808 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rawright54 
#1 ·
This afternoon after work I stopped by the range on my way home, since it was about 85F and almost windless. I've been working at sighting in my .243 for a while, but weather and crowds have been making that tedious. I had the entire place to myself, as I prefer it, so I set up at 50 yards, dialed it in, moved to 100 yards, adjusted things, then moved the target to 200 yards.

The good news is that I managed to hit a 12" target at that range most of the time, and the pattern I see is fairly evenly distributed around the center. That indicates to me that I have the scope set about right, and any error is just me. I figure, at this point, a bit less coffee by day and scotch by night will probably settle down my point of aim and reduce the size of that group. But I'm also thinking that I should get a better scope if I want to play at longer ranges. The Bushnell 9x I have on the thing is barely enough to let me see the target at that range, and the crosshairs seem to cover about the entire bull.

The bad news is that I had a couple of hang fire rounds in this batch, and I don't know why. These were all the same loads, using a 100 gr Speer jacketed soft point, with 43 gr of Power Pro 4000MR and standard large rifle primers from S&B. About 8 rounds, midway through a baggie of 80 rounds or so, failed to fire on the first try. Each time, I recocked the hammer and fired again, a 5 of them fired on the second try; three did not. I ejected the three that would not fire after a decent wait time, and found the primers were barely dented. From this I decided that I must have sized the cases so that the shoulder was pushed back too far, allowing the firing pin to drive the case further into the chamber than it's supposed to go and failing to detonate the primer.

When I got home, I ran the three failed rounds through my shiny, new case gage, expecting to see the cases fail the test. They didn't. Now I'm stumped. I've previously suspected that this load is too hot, despite the fact that the Hornady book and the Alliant website say otherwise, but if the gun had been damaged by this loading, the failure would have continued the rest of the afternoon. It didn't, and every round after the 8 bad ones fired perfectly. I figure I need to change something in my loading specs, but I haven't any idea what to change.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
The most likely cause of the doubles is the primers were not seated deep enough. If they are not seated all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket the firing pin will push them in when the trigger is pulled but they won't detonate. The second time you pull the trigger they will go off.

Are you using once fired brass? If so and the brass was not resized the headspace might be off enough to account for the three duds. I've read that primers require an indentation of .017" before they will detonate so if the brass was too short for your chamber you might get light primer strikes.

#3 ·
I forgot about the seating depth, Stev32k - you're probably right that the primers weren't set deep enough. I run a finger across all of them after seating, but it's possible I missed a few or let pass a couple that were iffy. I hate to waste time, but it might be worthwhile to check them all with a straightedge for a while, just to calibrate my finger. Thanks!

#4 ·
I am no reloading expert but I had the same issue with one of my shotguns. THe firing pin had some crud build up behind where it seats. Cleaned it up and no more light hits.

#6 ·
Rawright you may want to consider a hand primer such as the rcbs one. It really takes the guess work out. With mine a fill it up, insert a case and squeeze until the handle bottoms out. Perfect every time.
Well, my RCBS primer does essentially the same thing, but using a bit of leverage to accomplish the same chore. It also offers feedback to the user.

#7 ·
I am no reloading expert but I had the same issue with one of my shotguns. THe firing pin had some crud build up behind where it seats. Cleaned it up and no more light hits.
gvw3, I think that I am having that same problem with my 30-06 mod 70. I never have misfirers with any of the other cals I load for, but lately I have had a few with the 06. so I took the bolt apart after 30 years of owning the gun and it was pretty cruddy. I have it soaking right now, and will checking it out in a couple of days.

#8 ·
That's an excellent idea, though I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle that one; the BLR is rather complex to disassemble far enough to clean it so thoroughly. Perhaps a good flushing with Kroil or equivalent will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.