good news for tokarev owners

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oscarmayer, Jun 16, 2009.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

magsafe makes a 52 grain "defender" that goes 2120 fps with 519 ft lbs of energy. # 7.62 tok defender
  2. Stl_shooter

Stl_shooter New Member

Where can I find some of that at?

Brian.
  3. Austing

Austing New Member

Cheaper than Dirt <www.cheaperthandirt.com>, Midwest Hunter's Outlet <www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com>, and The Online Gun Shop <www.theonlinegunshop.com> all carry Magsafe 7.62x25mm Tokarev.
    By the way, in case anyone has the bright idea of using this for armor-penetrating purposes, it is not a solid lead-core round, but has a lead shot core. In other words, this penetrates LESS than the standard 7.62x25 FMJ.
  4. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

[strike]This post seems like SPAM...[/strike]

Magsafe is over priced and potentially dangerous 7.62x25 ammo.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammun...7_62x25_tokarev_magsafe_ammo_and_cz-52_a.html

If it's not garbage they have a marketing scheme that's similar to extreme shock ammo.

"MagSafe Ammo is faster, recoils less, and stops attackers faster than any other ammunition in the world. Elite forces are outfitted with MagSafe, from Navy SEALS to the Royal Hong Kong Police anti gang units, from big city undercover narcs to guards at some of America's meanest prisons."

Even space aliens that'll eat your brains use magsafe ammo!!!
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

Begging your pardon sir, you have insulted an upstanding member of this community.
  6. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

Eh, no insult intended in suggesting the member was intentionally spamming. My opinions on Magsafe ammunition remains the same though.
  7. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

The day this community holds ANY of its members above question is the end of the community. Sure, there are tactful and tactless ways to respond, but accusing that a member has insulted someone else (not even yourself) by this informative response is even further out of line. Spam (in this case, disreputable information) is often forwarded unknowingly by reputable individuals.

I agree that mag-safe's marketing claims are well beyond the norm for acceptable levels of product hype.

Andy
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if indeed magsafe is garbage and unsafe please tell me how you've come to that conclusion . i've used mag-safe in a number of calibers and have not been disapointed yet. and yes i've so far fired 24 rounds through my tokarev all without issue. but being a safety minded guy if you would be so kind to provide facts as to how so and please base it on a fact not a hear-say ok with that said i'd bet money a article was wriitten by someone that blew up his gun using mag-safe. i have no doubt someone at one time used a mag-safe round in a well used armscor 38 spl and now the guns timing is off. or perhaps shot a steady diet of mag-safe in a alloy framed gun and it now rattles like a can of marbles. but if you could provide some type of proof they are unsafe i'd be happy to stop using them and giving out reconmendations.
  9. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

I said "potentially" and referenced an article where someone had the case neck brake off in the chamber. Here is another link to someone who had case head failure with .357 SIG magsafe ammunition:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121994

The ammunition appears to be loaded with high charges. It has also received fairly bad in-depth technical reviews:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number3/article432.htm

The ammunition is also very expensive compared to other 7.62x25 rounds. I'm pretty sure I would be hard pressed to find any other manufacture that sells a single round of ammo at over $1.97!

If you're happy with it, more power too you I guess.
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

there are no other hollow point ammo to be had for the tokarev. and one reported case failure doesn't make it unsafe. and yes they are loaded hot. lets look at the facts these are not true hollow points they are fragmentation rounds designed to do just as the article you highlighted shows. they are low penetration rounds that dump their energy into it's intended target. they are meant not to over penetrate are are perfect for use in a apartment type complex or a structure with thin walls. they are used in various different hostage situations and by more than one departmant. with lawyers chomping at the bit to sue for reckless actions i highly doubt they would be used by "professionals" are glasers unsafe too ? both these rounds are made to cause the most amount of damage in the shortest possible penetration. of course you're intitled to your opinion but i base my intent to continue to use them on real world applications not sides of beef and one case failure.
  11. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

Are you affiliated with this company in any way? Do you sell magsafe ammuniton? First off it's completely bogus that there are not any other brands of 7.62x25mm hollow-points available. Secondly you're posting in a reloading area where people are generally interested in loading their own ammunition.

I'm against using any ammunition that claims reduced penetration in a self-defense role. Maybe some SWAT teams are okay wearing body armor, and using frangible ammunition in their automatic weapons when raiding an apartment complex... but if I'm in a self defense situation i would want a round that could penetrate and damage the vital organs of the person I was confronting. I suppose you're one of the folks that thinks .410 birdshot is a good defensive round too?
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Actually, this is not strictly a reloading forum, you can talk about ammo, in general, as well as talking anything and everything about reloading. Whether he sells 'em or tends to overdo it with telling everything about the ammo, is up to him. I, for one, don't want ta kill li'l Mary after shooting Bad Bob in the chest. (Not that I would fire a high velocity round that over-penetrates.) With that said, JHP, HP and Fragible rounds are great for stopping a typical perp, sometimes dead. Those generally overpriced bb-shots wouldn't work well, for me.
  13. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

Agreed on the topic not just being about reloading. If you look at the article I linked to above which is titled "MagSafe Ammunition Demonstrates Inadequate Terminal Performance for General-Purpose Personal Defense Use" it discusses how these rounds are not very great in stopping a perp.

The discussion over exotic ammo has already been covered by experts here:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Exotic_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

He's got 1800+ posts and ya think he was SPAMMING?????

I'm all for open discussion and disagreements, but you're something else when it comes to placing your opinion above others.
  15. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

I'm not on AR forums, and I redacted my comment about spamming which was uncalled for. How exactly have I been arrogant? I've disagreed with you about 5.56 vs .223 and it seems you're upset about that.