Good News For Wisconsin!!!

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by hogger129, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Budget Panel Approves Concealed Carry Bill
    Committee Makes Changes Requiring Training, Permits

MADISON, Wis. -- The Legislature's budget committee has passed a bill that would allow Wisconsin residents to carry concealed weapons.
    The Republican-controlled committee amended the bill Thursday to require people obtain permits and provide proof of training.
    Under the proposal, the state Department of Justice could charge permit applicants up to $37 plus $13 for a background check.
    Applicants would have to provide proof of firearms training, which could include completing a firearms safety course, a state hunter's safety course or documentation that an applicant participating in a shooting competition.
    DOJ would maintain a database of license holders, but police could access it only to confirm if a license is valid, determine if a person who claims to have a license actually does or if a person lied to obtain one.
    The panel approved those changes on a 15-1 vote with three of four Democrats joining with Republicans. They called the changes improvements.
    But one senator said the Legislature should be focusing on those who obtain guns illegally.
    "In all honesty, I'm not so worried about the people who buy a gun legally and buy a permit and carry a permit and go through the background check and do training. The folks I'm concerned about are the folks who get a gun, carry it illegally and do harm," said Sen. Luther Olsen, R-Ripon.
    The panel then approved the bill itself on a 12-4 vote. This time all the Democrats sided against the bill, saying Republicans want to make Wisconsin into a vigilante state.
    Republicans countered the bill would allow state residents to protect themselves.
    The committee approval sets up a full vote in the Legislature.

http://http://www.channel3000.com/politics/28183559/detail.html
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm wondering if a Utah CCW permit is proof to show you've taken a firearms safety training course.
  3. john_bud

john_bud New Member

Well, it's better than nothing but....

WI already has Constitutional OPEN Carry. I can carry a pair of .50 cal Desert Eagles on my hips and an AR over my shoulder legally. But if I put on a jacket or untuck my shirt and have any part of my clothing touch the gun -- suddenly I need to be trained and buy a permit. Does clothing touching a weapon drop my IQ? make me a greater security risk? Not in my book, but it is how cops define "Concealed" and that makes it illegal.

Even left wing liberal Vermont allows Constitutional Concealed Carry and they have not had doomsday because of it!
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am always happy to hear pro gun progress, but am still unhappy about any form of regulation. We have had this discussion before. The 2nd ammendment should be the law. Since that is not the case, I applaud the repub leadership for at least changing the law in favor of gun owners. Dems will always be on the wrong side of the arguement. There is that percentage of repubs on that side as well, but as a whole, conservatives are pro gun.
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

Yeee-ha! That makes Illinois the only holdout! The only state with no form of carry whatsoever!

We're number one! We're number one! No, wait... We're number fifty! We're... (sigh) Illinois sucks.
  6. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

At least it's a step in the right direction.
  7. john_bud

john_bud New Member

Amen to that !

soon to be 49 states with CC option -- just 8 to go.

(according to Obama, anyway)
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yes but they will give you an unconstitutiona/illegal disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct fine for open carrying if anybody simply cries about your carrying a gun. Up north it's not bad at all. Hardly anyone complains. Here in Madison, there are whiney liberals everywhere. Milwaukee is even worse.
  9. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

This is great news. The good guys may win another state. What is the next step in getting this law enacted? How does it look for becoming law. This law is very close to what we first had here in Wyoming. We will have Const'l Carry starting July 1, 2011. The first step is only the start of regaining our freedoms.:D
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Our governer just signed our open carry into law last week. I would hug him if I could. Also allows us to buy rifles out of state.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It WILL become law.

It still has to be voted on in the Assembly early this week, but the likelihood of it passing is very good. After that it goes to Governor Walker's desk - who is a supporter of shall-issue concealed carry.

It's essentially "shall-issue" concealed carry.

What I am afraid of is if Walker gets recalled or if he doesn't win re-election, the liberals will outlaw concealed carry or turn it into may-issue.

I do not see Wisconsin going Constitutional on CC for awhile. I mean that's what they were talking about at first, but then the parts of the police who are anti-gun come out of the woodwork and get their word in on it. We've had Constitutional open carry in this state as long as I can remember, and it never increased crime. Not many people exercise that right though because if someone complains, you get a ticket for disorderly conduct.

As far as my getting a permit... I already have the Utah CCW permit, so that would count as my training according to the police officers that work down at the local gun range. So all I have to do is apply for a permit.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  12. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

According to published reports in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, only the terms "Constitutional Carry" and "Permit Carry" have been mentioned. What is "shall-issue" concealed carry? I haven't heard that term mentioned as it might pertain to the State of Wisconsin.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It means that if you pass a background check and meet the training requirements, they are required to give you a permit.

As far as what the training requirements would be, I was told it was like the Utah CCW permit. You have to do the NRA Pistol Course, or have a hunter's safety card, or have military experience. Then you have to go shoot 50 rounds down range.

Except I do not think you have to get fingerprinted for the WI permit. I had to get fingerprinted for my Utah permit.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  14. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Utah CCW Trng. does not call for live firearm shooting. The Trng. only takes a few hours mostly Utah Law. After May 11th 2011 you must have a home state permit to apply for a Utah CCW. After Dec. 2011 all Utah CCW renwals must have a home state permit. NRA Handgun Inst. Utah- Wyoming. On the border.
  15. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

hogger, do you know if they will reciprocate with other states? Congrats!
  16. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Not sure yet. They were supposed to be voting on it today. Haven't heard if it passed yet. So far it's in Assembly and then it goes to Governor Walker.

I know you can open carry here without any kind of a permit. If you're just out in the country, they don't usually have a problem with open carry. In the cities, it's a bad idea.
  17. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

It's a real bad idea. The majority of residents in this state are not even aware that this law (right) exists.
  18. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

19. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Sounds like they will eventually declare reciprocity with the Utah permit because by the sound of the article I posted, the training requirements are the same. You have to have classroom instruction, but it says the bill doesn't require you to have range time. That's all I did for the Utah permit. Classroom training and didn't have to do range time.
  20. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Another victory for common sense.