1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Good Practice Round for HK USP 40?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bill77056, Mar 31, 2006.

1. bill77056

bill77056 New Member

How to chose a practice round? Midway USA offers thirteen different 155 grain 40 S&W rounds ranging in price from $40 to $12 for 50.

Any suggestions where to start based on experience with HK USP 40?

Ammo features desired in decreasing order: reliability, easy clean-up, price.

Midway USA prices 40 S&W 155 grain, per 50 rounds:

40.00 Fed Premium Hydra-Shok
    40.00 Speer Gold Dot JHP
    32.50 Hornady TAP JHP
    30.50 Win Super-X HP
    30.00 PMC Gold Starfire HP
    29.50 Remington Express JHP
    27.50 Hornady STP JHP
    27.50 Magtech Gold JHP
    25.00 Black Hills JHP
    13.60 Magtech JHP
    13.00 Speer Lawman JHP
    12.50 Fed Am. Eagle FMJ
    12.00 CCI Blazer TMJ
  2. Bill, first off, discard the Hydra Shoks, Gold Dots, TAPs and the like from your list. Those are "serious," expanding rounds intended for self-defense and will always be expensive. It is always wise to put a few of the premium rounds through your carry piece to make sure they function reliably. Buy those for your carry gun, but for practice stick with the FMJs and TMJs. For what it might be worth to you, I have had extremely good luck with the Magtech rounds. They are loaded in Brazil and I've fired hundreds of them through my pistols in various calibers. I've never had one fail, nor do they produce excessive powder residue. Very good "bang" for the buck. :D
  3. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

why not just Wincheter white box or the lain Remingotn stuff. It's just practice plinking ammo after all. For what it's worth, I've tried some really good stuff and some pretty crappy ammo in my USP40 and never had ammo issues. Also look into some of the smaller reloading companies that sell reloads. That's what I used at Thunder Ranch. Came from a shop in Kerrville, TX.