Good reason to NOT forget glasses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keppler, Oct 31, 2005.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

This weekend was the last 2 days of Oklahoma's muzzel loading season. Since I spent the first weekend of the season wandering around the Tulsa gun show, I didn't buy my permit until Friday evening. I went to Wal-Mart and not having hunted for a couple of years was not suprised that the permits had changed form again...something the state seems to do EVERY year. I only hunt bucks and always have, so I told the man at the store I wanted a buck tag for muzzel loading and also a buck tag for the regular rifle season. He printed everything out on a computer...first time I ever seen that... and asked me to sign on the bottom. I reached into my pocket and realized I had forgotten my glasses in the truck. So I signed the thing without reading the full permit. He folded it up and put it in a plastic baggie type holder and I stuck it in my wallet without giving it much more thought.
    Saturday morning finds me in the woods with a small buck and several doe feeding around and me watching and trying to decide to shoot him or not. I decide not to for some reason. Saturday afternoon finds me watching a much larger buck but cant take a shot for the brush.
    Sunday morning is the same...same buck...same brush in the way...I really gotta move that stand a little ways.
    After hunting me and my uncle are sitting in the truck and the conversation turns to hunting permits. I pull mine out and he looks at it and say's "Why are you hunting does?" Huh..what do you mean?
    The guy at Wal-Mart had filled it out with me having a doe tag for muzzel loading season. I didnt read it since I had forgotten my glasses and had just stuck it in my wallet and not thought much about since then.
    If I had taken a buck and went to check it in...I dont even want to think about the trouble I would have been in. Ill-legal deer, fines, court cost, not being able to hunt for a few years, confiscation of gun...all kinda things the state likes to do to people who don't have the right license.
    So needless to say, my season ended a little early. Oh well, I needed to move that stand any way.
    My wife called the manager of the store mostly to have the employees be more carefull about the hunting permits and how they fill them out. To my suprise they are going to give me a gift card for the cost of the license.
  2. wizard78

wizard78 New Member

You got lucky on that one. You're right about the state. They would have had a field day with fines.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Boy, Kep, that was a close one!
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sure glad you didn't have any trouble!
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Gotta love goverment! A small paper error could have cost you your rights.

Just curious, though, why do you only hunt bucks? Just for the trophies?
  6. muley

muley New Member

Back in 1980 I drove across Nevada and Utah from Northern CA to Grand Junction, Colorado to hunt elk and mule deer. Didn't get and elk, but I filled my deer tag with a nice 4 point muley. That's a 10 point for you guys out east......14 points if you count the feet... :D :p Anyway, that's a whole different argument.
    I loaded up all that hamburger with the horns sticking out the back of the jeep so the old ladies could shake their fists at me as I drove through the various towns and came on home. When I got home, Mrs muley was helping me process the buck and she asked, "How come you put your elk tag on the deer?"....... :eek: :eek: .......always use your glasses.
    muley
  7. keppler

keppler New Member

No...not much of a trophy hunter. I have always looked at it like a herd of cattle. With the rate the females are being taken out of the herd, are there enough left to sustain herd numbers and maybe grow? Or is the herd being depleted? Around here, it's been being depleted for years. Insurance companies be danged....I want the herd to grow. Not keep shrinking.
  8. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I have been working in Oklahoma for a couple of months and the hunting laws are confusing to me. Plus they nickle and dime the hunters to death up here. :mad:
  9. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Interesting. Around here, I may see 1 buck for every 40-50 does. It worries me that people are only shooting bucks and not leaving enough of them to propagate their genes. I imagine a lot of does that could be reproducing just don't come into contact with enough bucks because they're so scarce. For that reason, I leave the bucks alone and go for the does. I hunt for meat and hides anyway.

I know the State keeps tabs on the population and distributes tags accordingly, but I still don't trust them to know what they're doing. Just based on what I see, I worry about it. Seems like every hunter I know is only interested in trophies these days, and that kinda saddens me. It's good to hear that your concern is also keeping the herds populated.
  10. keppler

keppler New Member

I do think the taking of does has actually helped the deer herd here in some ways. When I started hunting, say around 1970 or so, there were a lot of does, exactly like your saying. I remember one muzzel loading season, watching 36 deer cross a fence and not seeing any antlers on any of them. Also the deer were smaller, if someone got one that weighed 100 lbs. it was considered a big deer, with the average probably being something like 80 lbs. Now its not uncommon to see 130 lb. deer and a lot are bigger than that. These are field dressed weights.
    I think in-breeding was a big factor in this problem. After seeing the same characteristics (sp) in different deer in different years, it seemed to me that the herd need "new blood" brought into it. I'm not a geneticist, just a dumb ol' country boy, but if you keep breeding the same doe sired by a buck, to the buck that sired her, your gonna get a screwed up herd after a few years.
    However, after several years of taking does and more "does days" added every season, the herd is dissapearing. A couple of years ago the Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife's hunting regulations plainly stated that the taking of more does was needed so that auto insurance rates would not increase. It was no longer concerned about the health of the herd, but is concened about how much insurance companies have to pay in vehicle damages. Needless to say, even with no tickets or wrecks of any kind, my insurance rates keep climbing and I see fewer deer every year. Not just during deer season but all year long. I drive 84 miles to work...I know it's goofy buts thats what I do... and thats almost all rural driving on interstates, and I seldom see a deer.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that the taking of does served a good and much needed purpose in helping the population of the deer herd here in Eastern Okla. But it's time to slow it down, maybe not stop it. But regulate it for the health of the herd, not for monetary gain.
  11. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Coming down 35 today outta kansas in Oklahoma I saw probably a dozen deer splattered on the side of the road. One had antlers, the others did not. The ones off in the ditch I could not tell.
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Another nice thing about Alabama or Mississippi, we don't have to have tags for a specific type. The annual/daily limits prescribed count. Don't have to check in except is in a Management area. The license, if you have to have one, is a blanket one for residents. Anyone 65 and over only needs a picture ID such as a Driver License or a Firearms license that also includes a DOB.

Glad He was watching, Ke0p, and didn't allow you to get in trouble.
  13. mpdc3870

mpdc3870 New Member

I agree with Sniper and Kep. Hunting as a tool for managing the herd's overall health should be a big consideration for everyone who goes out. It's not too difficult to learn about the buck/doe ratio in your area, most states post the previous years harvest stats in the current hunting reg's, and many adjust the issuance of permits as they see fit. Unfortunately, many state fish and game dept's are mired in political BS that clouds their judgement in whether they have an overiding loyalty to the wildlife they manage or the sportsman who fork over the money every year and expect to be able to hunt whatever they want. But that's a different topic. Anyway, it's depressing to see people so obsessed with horn hunting that they lose appreciation for the hunt or the animals themselves. I can't stand to watch any of the TV hunting programs anymore as every time some celebrity host bags a decent animal, the first thing they do is run up and molest the antlers and rant about how many points and kickers they got. You'd be hard pressed to realize there was more to hunting than that if you didn 't know any better.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005