Good reason why you should be carrying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Double Deuce, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Some positive news coverage on CC.

VERNAL -- Authorities are crediting an alert driver in Vernal for foiling the attempted kidnapping of an 8-year-old boy. Shalyn Searle says she never thought twice about stopping to help the boy.

"He was screaming out, ‘Help me! Help me!' I could hear him from in my car with the windows rolled up," Searle said.

Kid Canal, where boy was fishing She was on her way home Sunday morning when she saw a man, later identified as 22-year-old Joseph Yump, grabbing a little boy who was fishing at Kid's Canal.

"He was kicking and screaming. The guy had him by the wrists and up here on the arm," Searle explained. "He lifted him up off the ground."

Searle pulled over, called 911 and got out of her car. Once the suspect knew someone was watching him, he let go of the boy and continued to go north on 1500 West. Minutes later, he was arrested a few blocks away at 500 North.

Searle says she was just concerned about the boy, who was visibly shaken up.

"The little boy told me, ‘I tried to jump in the water to get away," Searle said. "I was like, ‘You don't know him at all?' He said, ‘No.' Then he said to me that, you know, 'He said he wasn't going to kill me.'"

Searle has a concealed weapons permit and a gun in her car. She can't believe she was put in a situation where she thought about using it.
    "It's something I'll never forget, that little boy's face," she said. "You see stuff like that on TV and you don't think it can happen to you. And I'm sure people don't think it can happen to their children."

The Uintah County Sheriff's Office says Yump is known around town for his strange behavior, but he has never done anything like this before.

Searle says it didn't surprise her that the boy was without a parent, because Vernal is seen as a small, safe town.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7481510
  2. kingchip

kingchip New Member

Why didn't she cap him. Could have saved the community much time and money.

More importantly, she doesn't need a reason to carry except maybe........because, but good for her.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I just signed up for concealed carry class, and admire the woman in this story for *thinking* of using her gun. I've been considering the responsibility of carrying for over a year now, I think about these situations frequently.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

She may have saved his life, even if she didn't resort to actually using her portable heater.

Just proves that there are still good people in this world.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Great story. This lady had the chance to do something and she did. Good for her.
  6. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Yep! Woulda been just another missing child had she not acted as quickly as she did. MAX Kudo's to Ms. Searle for not being just another "I don't see nut'n" sheeple type when she was confronted with an immediate danger.

The question I would ask: why get out of your car without your weapon in hand, locked & loaded & ready to use if you have a concealed weapons permit? :confused: It appears [to me anyway], like she might not have been ready to use her weapon, either physically, mentally, or both.

I'm not trying to armchair QB her actions as I wasn't there, but had I been there I would've had my weapon in hand, in case the sicko pedephile didn't comply w/ my command to release said little boy. What would she have done if the BG had charged her instead of walking away? I'm w/ Kingchip on this one.... ;) She should've capped his a$$ & removed another sick, twisted, POS from the face of the earth. :mad:

I've seen grown men who talked a lotta crap, freeze up like a deer in the headlights when confronted w/a "Oh S**T" situation. It's hard to know what a person has in the way of courage, w/o actually being put in a situation that calls for it first.

SR
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Things have changed tremendously. In the 80's, I was working at a store in Houston. Sicko in a car tried to get a young girl. She ran in. We had a solid description of the car (tags, etc), but when we called the cops, they said the parent had to make the complaint. At least she wasn't harmed. Now, this sort of stuff is not accepted...and that's a great thing.
  8. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I was riding my bicycle on the local trail a couple of years ago and came upon two men and two women stopped. The first odd thing was there were only two bicycles. I asked if they needed help, the men both said in unison "no", at the same time the women said "yes." To make a long story short the men were impersonating police officers and I broke it up causing them to flee, they were later apprehended, tried and convicted on the testimony of the women and others they had harassed. The confrontation, between my question and their flight was about 60 seconds and I was so, so glad I had a handgun.
  9. USMARINE1884

USMARINE1884 New Member

wow! People are too quick to say shoot! When you take someones life it must be a last resort! If you are to quick to say shoot just because you are in a crappy situation you shouldn't be carrying. Living with the thought of taking a human life is something that does not come easy. The boy was quickly released after the woman intervened why would she shoot? The guy is probably mentally ill not a hardened criminal.
  10. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Good for her!!!! I have an 8 year old girl and a 9 year old, this story really struck home for me. I would be a complete mess if anything ever happened to them. God bless this lady for doing the right thing!
  11. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I completly agree with you. Everytime I have to take a life I hate it. I stay up that night thinking about if they had a family or not. And when people say it gets easier the more you do it, then they have problems.
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

This story makes me happy.
    She had a legally owned and concealed weapon, but she used the most important weapons we all have, she used her MIND. Nobody died, nobody got hurt seriously. From what I'm reading the perp was likely mentally ill to some degree. I hope he gets help. I'm even more happy the child was safe. Good job, proper response,and well done.
    I want to point out she also used her heart. Yes, if the rescuer had used her weapon I think she'd have been (in my opinion) justified. She chose a less lethal level of force and won. Even better! Again, good job!
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

BULLROAR!!! He was probably going to try his first child molestation!!! Why else would be be trying to take the boy captive?

mike
    gn