Good scale for weighing

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Raven1, May 5, 2009.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

I was told to weigh my powder to get a more true weight. I have a gram scale, can't figure it to grams that great. I borrowed a Lee balance scale but can't read it that good. What would be a good won that tells the same each time like it should. Is it better to go with a balance or digital.
  2. Bboomer

Bboomer New Member

Get you a cheap scale from either RCBS or Lyman. Used ones can be had from you know where. But buy what you can afford.

In the reloading arena there is NO room for error. You owe it to your digits or sight to say the least. And don't reload without educating yourself first. Get reloading manuals, one is NOT enough.

Read and heed.

Be Safe!
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I can recommend a cheap one NOT to get, stay away from the Franklin Arsenal micro scale, it is pretty much worthless, at least the one I bought was. I would recommend that you look into getting an RCBS Rangemaster 750 or equivilent (SP).
  4. army mp

army mp Member

Go out to mid-way and read the reviews, I did and got the RCBS 1500. The 750 got good reviews too but I liked the idea that, I could up grade to the powder dispenser later if I wanted. The RCBS is the best scale I have used in 40 years of reloading. I tried a couple cheap Digital’s before the RCBS and they are a waste of money.
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I bought the Lyman 505. It seems like a good one so far.
  6. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Howdy All

I've used a RCBS 10/10 Beam scale for years, when I first started loading in 1984, my friend told me to not skimp on the scale, it was too important to take any chances with, and it has worked well for me, although slow, it's dead on. Recently I bought a RCBS Range Master 750, it was recommended by several friends and by pards in this forum, after hearing stories about electric scales being overly sensitive, but I've used electric scales for 30 years now, and they have made a lot of improvements over the years, of course there are cheap ones out there, that aren't worth the box they come in, but the better ones should work fine, this 750 is dead on, and a ton faster than the 10/10, but I will still use my 10/10 for comparison which is a good idea anyway, I'm real happy with my RCBS 10/10 Beam, and my RCBS Range Master 750 they are good quality scales, although the 750 came with two weights for checking accuracy, I also ordered the Lyman check weights too, just to be able check things further.

Regards

tEN wOLVES :):D
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Whatever scale, invest in some test weights, fro the same folk, so you know its right and set up straight.
  8. 3ME

3ME New Member

The balance beam scales are accurate enough, but they are a little slower to use. The cat's meow is a digital electronic unit these days. Like someone mentioned, make sure it comes with a test weight or buy a small set to check it out.

If you ever plan on reloading shotgun, make sure you get one with enough capacity to weigh the largest shot charge you plan to load. Many of the smaller scales cannot weigh 1-1/8 oz or more.
  9. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I can highly recommend the RCBS 10-10, mine has been in use for decades and still retains all of its initial accuracy.....definately don't skimp on this important loading tool....you also at some time might want to invest in a set of calibration weights to check and re-calibrate your scale (no matter what kind you buy).
  10. RFL

RFL New Member

I use a Lyman DPS1200 and check it with an RCBS 1010 that I've had for over 25 years. I would like to get a chance to run the RCBS electronic scales sometime just to see how they match up to my Lyman. At the time I bought the 1200, RCBS was just comming out with theirs and they had trouble so I opted for the Lyman. They have been good scales (I have two in fact) but as all digital scales seem to do, they start to waiver out of calibration which my 1010 then picks up. Calibration only takes a few seconds and I just bought the upgrade speed unit for the Lyman but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I love my 1010 but like the rest, I wouldn't have a set a scales with out a check weight set, you have to know you are right from the start.
  11. kd4tsc

kd4tsc New Member

I use an Ohaus which has served me well.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use a RCBS RngMstr 750 and it comes with 20 and 30 gram calibration weights. Have had no problems. I did check it vs. my Ohaus and it was right on the money. I keep the Ohaus for reference and just because it's rock solid, it will never wear out and if the power goes out, I can still use it. Although I really don't think reloading in the dim light from the window would be such a great idea. The digital is just so much faster and less fiddling. The 750 runs on dual power sources, either 110vac or 9v battery. Comes with the transformer and a battery.