1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Good semi for ~300$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by no_Wedge, Nov 18, 2007.

1. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

I am looking to get a good durable handgun for self defense probably a .40 so I can have the 15+1 and still have power, for around $300. I was looking at the Taurus 24/7 Pros and wondering about any opinions of it and any.
  2. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

also what about the steyr M? I don't know if I could find one for that price, but I might look.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You might look @ some of the Gun auction websites to see what is available in your price range. You need to find a model that fits your hand well. Check out your local gun stores for some used models. $300 is a bit low for a new 40 cal. Good Luck
  4. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

what about the rugers I think a new one runsaround 350 or so.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

If there is a rental shooting range nearby, you might try renting a few different guns to see how they fit. If you shop long enough, you'll find a gun in your price range. But if you can't shoot it well, what would be the point? Find a gun that works for you, first. Then start shopping for a new or used one in your price range.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I second Bruce's advice.

Also...The only place I'd think you might find a decent .40 for $300 is maybe at a gunshow...otherwise you are prolly looking at $400-500 out the door in most shops and it's not hard to go over $600.
  7. travihanson

travihanson New Member

You could pick up a beretta 96D for around that.....But I would save my pennies and go with the 96fs....That is just my .02
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

In that price range. I would probably recomend either the Rugers in .40 or the Sigma's in .40
  9. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

If I could get a little extra money to either buy a taurus 24/7 pro, Glock 23, or XD. 40 which one would yall recommend and why?
  10. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

ok, so I have narrowed my choices down to two and have decided to start off with a 9mm... Opinions needed.

Either the new ruger P95 9mm for $349
    or Taurus 24/7 for $429
    or any other opinions.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Unless you've allready owned a full size Glock i would not recomend buying a mini glock as your first glock. They're a little harder to learn the glock trigger with as your "first" Glock....

The Springfield xd is a well built pistol and most people, not me...but most people like the trigger.... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn

Ps... you want value? Just get a ruger 9mm... thats my thinking on the subject.
  12. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Shotgun News always has some Glock police trade ins for a reasonable price. If you get one that is scratched up and has a lot of holster wear, you can have it re-finished pretty cheap.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Are you sure? I remember a gunsmith balking one time about refinishing one of mine? I got charged more than the advertised price because he said Glocks were harder to refinish....

Its been a few years since then and maybe he was messing me over who knows?

mike
    gn
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Glock will refinish them for around $50
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

This leads to many questions, first and foremost: Is it for home based self defense or legal CCW? IMHO, a 15+1 .40 is not a first choice for either under most circumstances. They tend to be a bit large making CCW harder but not impossible. The .40 easily penetrates several sheetrock walls in a home making family (if you have a family - or neighbors) defense less ideal.

I have owned two .40's and enjoyed them both. A Glock and a Beretta. Never used either for CCW or home defense though - both were for IDPA matches.

ISB