Good semi for ~300$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by no_Wedge, Nov 18, 2007.

1. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

I am looking to get a good durable handgun for self defense probably a .40 so I can have the 15+1 and still have power, for around $300. I was looking at the Taurus 24/7 Pros and wondering about any opinions of it and any.
  2. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

also what about the steyr M? I don't know if I could find one for that price, but I might look.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You might look @ some of the Gun auction websites to see what is available in your price range. You need to find a model that fits your hand well. Check out your local gun stores for some used models. $300 is a bit low for a new 40 cal. Good Luck
  4. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

what about the rugers I think a new one runsaround 350 or so.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

If there is a rental shooting range nearby, you might try renting a few different guns to see how they fit. If you shop long enough, you'll find a gun in your price range. But if you can't shoot it well, what would be the point? Find a gun that works for you, first. Then start shopping for a new or used one in your price range.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I second Bruce's advice.

Also...The only place I'd think you might find a decent .40 for $300 is maybe at a gunshow...otherwise you are prolly looking at $400-500 out the door in most shops and it's not hard to go over $600.
  7. travihanson

travihanson New Member

You could pick up a beretta 96D for around that.....But I would save my pennies and go with the 96fs....That is just my .02
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

In that price range. I would probably recomend either the Rugers in .40 or the Sigma's in .40
  9. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

If I could get a little extra money to either buy a taurus 24/7 pro, Glock 23, or XD. 40 which one would yall recommend and why?
  10. no_Wedge

no_Wedge New Member

ok, so I have narrowed my choices down to two and have decided to start off with a 9mm... Opinions needed.

Either the new ruger P95 9mm for $349
    or Taurus 24/7 for $429
    or any other opinions.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Unless you've allready owned a full size Glock i would not recomend buying a mini glock as your first glock. They're a little harder to learn the glock trigger with as your "first" Glock....

The Springfield xd is a well built pistol and most people, not me...but most people like the trigger.... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn

Ps... you want value? Just get a ruger 9mm... thats my thinking on the subject.
  12. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Shotgun News always has some Glock police trade ins for a reasonable price. If you get one that is scratched up and has a lot of holster wear, you can have it re-finished pretty cheap.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Are you sure? I remember a gunsmith balking one time about refinishing one of mine? I got charged more than the advertised price because he said Glocks were harder to refinish....

Its been a few years since then and maybe he was messing me over who knows?

mike
    gn
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Glock will refinish them for around $50
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

This leads to many questions, first and foremost: Is it for home based self defense or legal CCW? IMHO, a 15+1 .40 is not a first choice for either under most circumstances. They tend to be a bit large making CCW harder but not impossible. The .40 easily penetrates several sheetrock walls in a home making family (if you have a family - or neighbors) defense less ideal.

I have owned two .40's and enjoyed them both. A Glock and a Beretta. Never used either for CCW or home defense though - both were for IDPA matches.

ISB