Good solid pocket pistol?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Crpdeth, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I have another issue guys

While in my local gun shop today I peered into the counter at a tiny little .25 caliber auto loading pistol and the little hamster in my brain started running around in circles.

I carry a snubby, hammerless, .357Mag in my back pocket everywhere I go, day in and day out and I have to tell ya that in my labor intense job, sometimes I could use a break from it, as silly as that sounds.

It's not just the weight of it, but also the constant checking of my shirt tail with my fingertips to ensure that it is concealed after jumping out of the truck, ect.

The thought of a little pistol that I would occasionally revert to when I'm ready for a little vacation from the .357, that I could slip in my front pocket and just forget about, now intrigues me, but I wouldn't want no junk...Maybe it's just me, but I've always looked at these little guns as all but worthless...Now I'd like to recieve some information if possible on a good quality, dependable, palm size auto if there is such a thing. :D

Thanks in advance folks!

Crpdeth
  2. I know what you mean on the weight of that .357 revolver, Donny. In your line of work, that would really get tiresome. Not to worry though, the choices for you are almost endless!

I often find myself in the same predicament because of my teaching duties and the clothing I often must wear. OK, as I understand it, you want something relatively small and light, but still effective. First off, the .25 you mentioned is not the best choice, even though I too have one (a Beretta) and carry it when I simply can't carry anything larger due to clothing restrictions. It's better than nothing, but not by much. Here are the weapons I choose for so-called "pocket carry," i.e., when I can't wear a belt holster and need deep concealment:

Good: A North American Arms Black Widow in .22 Magnum. (http://www.naaminis.com/bwmm.html)
    Better: A Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP. (http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm)
    Best: A Sig P-230 (or the newer P-232) in .380 auto. (http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=10&productid=69)

Another possible solution would be to switch out that .357 for a smaller and lighter revolver in .38 special. The best choice, in my opinion, would be one of the alloy smiths such as the Mod 637, 638, or the newer titanium revolvers. I carry my 637 a LOT!. :D http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I'm really liking this Tomcat Rich! The price is right too.

Okay, concerning the Blackwidow...I remember Remmy and I having a conversation about this one a long time ago, he bought one and quickly moved away from it claiming that it was impossible to lock the hammer back using only one hand and also said that the trigger was a bear...What are your feelings on those issues?

Also I was thinking you could get that little jewel in .17HMR? That would be a handfull of power at two feet away.

Thanks alot bro

Crpdeth
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Hmmmm

I may have glossed over that P232 simply because it looked like a full size auto at first glance...But @ only 1.6" longer than the Tomcat this is going to be a hard decision!

May I have one of each please? :D

Crpdeth
  5. Yeah, I really like mine too, Donny. In fact, it is probably the one I most often carry when I need really deep concealment. Granted, the .32 ACP is on the marginal side, but with good ammo it's a reasonable stopper. The pistol itself is of very high quality, which is typical of Beretta. I like the tip up barrel feature on it as well. Easy to load or unload a live round from the chamber with a full mag still in the pistol.

They have much improved it, Donny, and seem to have gotten rid of the trigger problem. Mine has a decent trigger pull, not competition quality of course, but not overly heavy. It's a single action revolver, as you know, so the hammer must be cocked each time it's fired. It's also safe to carry with a round under the hammer. Mine has proven to be completely reliable. The grip that comes with it is also great, small but large enough to be stable in your hand. The only problem I had with it was a weak hammer spring on the original revolver. I contacted the factory and they sent me a new spring free. I've had absolutely no problems with it since and I've put at least 300 rounds through it. You can also get it with an extra .22 LR cylinder so practice is cheaper.

Yes, they do make it in .17HMR. http://www.naaminis.com/17bwmm.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Put your hand around a Walther PPK/S
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I just did a search for this one per your suggestion Delta and, good lord this thing looks pretty...I may have more to choose from than I can process in my little brain.

Crpdeth
  8. Also an excellent choice, delta. About the same size as the Sig and just as reliable and accurate.

Donny, as for the Sig P-232, check one out. You will find it is a pistol that just "feels" right in your hand. I put Hogue grips on mine and that made it even better. It points very naturally; it's light, thin, and compact and very easy to conceal. Small enough to fit in a back pocket with only a bit of the grip showing.
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A Kel-Tec 380 with the pocket knife clip installed
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

IF I were able to find a Colt Mustang in good condition, I would consider it the ideal candidate for these criteria. I have carried in a similar situation in the past a Baby Browning with .25 high power HPs. However, there is no question the .380 would be a better choice.
  11. Only problem with the Kel-Tec, in my humble opinion, Southern, is that God-awful DAO trigger pull on them! Takes ya five mintues to pull the trigger and another ten for it to reset! :D I could never hit the broad side of a barn with one of them, but others may see it differently. As a very close-range "belly gun" it should do the job though.
  12. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

You are once again correct my conservative friend. The P3AT is useless, in my experience, beyond 10 yards... no sights, long pull, and heavy recoil make it a real chore to be accurate with. It is a terriffic gun if your target is within five yards, and preferably at point blank range. Beyond that - good luck.

Full disclosure - I carry a P3AT every day that I am in business attire (suit). Weekends? I carry my SW99 (.40) or my Walther PPK/s (.380) in a fanny pack. Bedside table? Taurus PT1911 with Powr'Ball ammo.
  13. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I would recommend the Sig P230. I have one and love it.
    I just usually don't feel comfortable anything less than .380.
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Well guys

I gotta say that you have given me such a broad range of choices here that I simply couldn't make up my mind.

However it IS time for a new gun, so I picked up my very first AK...A MAK90, I think "MAC" and I are gonna get along real well. :D
    http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=232920#post232920
    I'll have to mull over these pistols a bit longer to make a decision on one.

Thanks for all your input so far...I'll keep you posted!

Crpdeth
  15. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Hey!!!! Somebody edited my post? Who's responsible for this outrage?! Unless it was SoMO, I'm pissed!
  16. click

click New Member

PPK/S .380 all the way everyday. If you are over 150 lbs. you probably won't even know it's there. New kit includes 2nd mag & 007 licence:D
  17. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Just ad Tuxedo:cool:
  18. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

'Twasn't me, Pat. ;) PM on the way.
  19. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Me & my little Kel-Tek P 32 go everywhere together.
  20. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

How about a small Glock 28