good trade? 20 boxer 762x39 for 30 berdan?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

been made an offer and am considering it.

buddy of mine has an sks and I have an sks and wasr.. thus I have a great deal of milsurp, steel cased, probably berdan primed 762x39..

my buddy doesn't buy in quantity, and just gets the 20rnd white box 762x39 BRASS cased winchester stuff at wallmart. occasionally the larger box they offer.. 100rnd bulk pack. He knows I relaod.. and he shoots more than I do.. it's his only rifle.. :) he offered to trade me his lot of boxer primed, factory win ammo for my milsurp stuff on a 2 for 3 basis.

IE.. 20 rnds for 30 on the 20rnd boxed stuff ( he currently has no 100 rnd packs )

my thoughts are as follows.. I'd still be getting shootable loaded ammo, AND this would net me reloadable brass once it is shot.

he shoots many times a week.. thus goes thru lots of ammo.. unfortunately unless I'm with him.. he doesn't pick up brass. havn't been able to break him of that wastefull habit.. :)

whatcha think? good trade?

I have.. UM... a large amount of milsurp steel cased 762x39 .. likely more than I could reasonably shoot unless the zombie appoc hits soon.. :) or we are invaded or something... :) I'd be loosing 1/3 of my total 'stash' depending on the amount he has to trade.. but.. i'd be getting relaodable brass out of it. or at least I assume the win brass is boxer.. etc..

comments?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

DO IT!. after you reload the 20 Boxer cases 1 time, you will have already crawled on top from that trade.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Seriously good deal.
  4. soundguy

allright cool, that's what I was thinking. once I relaod it 1x I'm already plus side.

I'll call him tonight.

I figure he probably has 10-15 boxes of it.. I can cover that without even getting into a canvas tote or sealed tin.. :) heck.. i could cover that with wolf if I wanted to ;) ;)
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cover it with the worst of your lot.
  6. soundguy

that's an iffy question. what's worse? wolf or milsurp? :)

all my milsurp is good bagged ammo.. no corrosion.. etc.. came out of a spam can.. so has not seen hard surface.

It is OLDER mind you. guess I could cover the lot with older ammo. .. the wolf is at least, newer.. etc..

thanks for the ideas. I called him today and we made the deal. next range day he's bringing all his win white box and I'll trade him out non reloadable stuff.

now I don;'t have to hound him to pick up his cases!

i told him that as long as I had milsurp, I'd continue to make the deal.. I figure having the reloadable brass is a good thing...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A very good thing.

Id start with the older stuff trading it off. Hes just gonna shoot it up anyway. I find wolf ammo fairly consistent for steel cased 'value' ammo so Id hang on to it til last.
  8. soundguy

cool will do. I have plenty of ziplock baggied with a dessicant pack milsurp that came out of spam cans I opened. back when i shot more we'd go in on them as a group. I'd always baggie them up to protect them. so I got plenty to trade.. :)

just thinking about that once fired brass i can relaod plus shoot it when it's virgin.

the more i think of it.. it's a great trade for both of us.

he's getting bonus extra ammo.. and as you said. he's just bulelt hosing it at paper targets all week. and I can never get him to pickup shells to give to me.. so it's a win win..
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep, and on top of that, the 7.62X39 is unbelievably accurate when properly handloaded for a specific chamber.

My wifes cousin John, one of my favorite shooting buddies, has a Yugo SKS that I helped him painstakingly bed. With the gas port turned off running the rifle as a straight pull bolt action shooting 123 gr Vmaxes in necksized brass it shoots MOA. Which is outfreakinstanding for an SKS. And thats with winchester Brass.
  10. soundguy

you know.. I hadn't even thought about the benifits of shooting the virgin brass in my gun, then reloading for same gun.

and my ruskie is no foul ball thrower either. even on milsurp I'm hitting 1' targets at 150yds with iron sights.. can't imagine what handlaods will do... :)