Goodbye to an old faithful friend!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terminator, Aug 13, 2011.

1. popgun

popgun New Member

My condolences sorry for your loss
  2. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Terminator, I wanted to thank you for your post. When you said, You hoped you hadn't waited to long, it struck a cord. Last night, Miss Daisy ate supper by my desk, then laid there and slept. When she woke up, she couldn't get up in time. At 11PM, the wife cleaned the rug and I sat in a small baby pool, in the dark, in the rain, washing my poor puppy. We dried her and she slept through the night, and then this morning had trouble coming up the step to come back into the house. I know the time has come. My sons are coming on Tuesday to help me take her for her last ride.
    Those of us who have had the pleasure to share our lives with such wonderful creatures have been blessed. It is just so hard when the time comes for them to leave our side.
    I did not mean to steal your thread, but felt compelled to share what I am going through.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Ive had to do it 3 times I can recall, and your right, it never get any eaiser...nothing but harder and the last one, I swore I would never find another dog.
  4. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

I have had to put down several pets in my years. The loss never gets any easier. The loss is hard to get over because you get used to every time you put your shoes on, the dog has beaten you to the door and is waiting to go for a ride with you. My two Lap Yappers (Little ankle biters) always fight to see who gets to ride shotgun. It is off to the local banks drive throughs to get thier daily dog treat, get the mail, and drive around town to make sure everything is secure. They are happy. They travel with me everywhere I go.

So, I am sorry for your loss. It never gets any better every time it comes that time. Pets are family who trust you with out wanting anything.
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

How do you say good bye to a friend that never sees a mistake that you make. They never hold a grudge regardless of how stupid you are. And if you lost every dime you had would set down and starve right along with you. I really think when we cross over all of our best friends will come running to us thu an eternal mist.:)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...well said.
  7. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Term,,

I've avoided commenting on this thread.

Had to do the same with one of my house dogs. Past times I've shot them. This time I took Max to a vet for the "final solution" . Won't ever do that again !

Took myself, my son and another "aide" to hold that dog down until the phenobarbital took effect ! Max howled the whole time ! I was devasted ! >MW
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

So many losses, so many memories -
    I cannot say which was the hardest.

My horse was one of the worst, though.
    She was my first horse; got her when she was barely two, and had her until she was thirty.
    We shared many miles - -
    And I KNOW we will share more in the next life -

In the end, the Vet was tied up and couldn't come for four hours to put her down for me.
    I could not let her suffer so - -
    I prayed that God would guide the .45 bullet - -
    And He did; she died instantly.

Times like these, I feel like I have lived too long -
  9. terminator

terminator Member

Thank you all for sharing your heartfelt stories with me. It means the world to me that there are others who have loved their pets and as much as I love mine. I was not expecting such a wonderful response to my post. My condolences to all of you for your losses as well. I guess we all have more in common then just the love of firearms.
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard people criticize folks for what they spend on their pets, often with words like "There are hungry CHILDREN out there, and they are spending money on that DOG!"

Thankfully, you are right. We here share MUCH more than a love of weaponry.
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

So sorry for your loss. Some people don't even think they like their dog as much as they do until they have to do as you did. We had a little poodle that we rescued he was the best little dog. He wasn't one of those yippy ones or a snapper just real mellow kind of reminded me of a stoner. He would have been 23 in April of 06 the January before he went into renal failure and I had to put him to sleep. I talked to him all the way home hoping he heard me, I had made a casket of stainless with brass and ivory handles brass corners and latches it was lined with 1/2 sections of rubber insulation covered in satin. When I buried him on the side of the house I asked my wife if she wanted his collar and tags. She said no because where he was going she wanted them to know who he was. I cried more when that dog died then when my Father died. They can certainly be your best friend weather people know it or not. They don't care what kind of day you had they are there for you when you're sick they sense when you are upset. I will never be without a dog but I will never have another like JOE! 1/6/06
  12. terminator

terminator Member

Tell Joe there is a sexy little German girl on her way!! Her name is Heidi.
  13. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Words can't express, other than "it's done".
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

:(:(:(:(

We're praying for you, Jstgsn. Hopefully still have plenty of time with my pup (just a 2 year old), but I can't even imagine. Never before had one I was nearly this close to.