Goof up from Winchester

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sig Willy, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I bought three boxes of the PDX1 9mm 124 +Ps and I found 5 rounds with the wrong bullets in the casings.

The bad on the right in both pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Sigma 9mm barrel, first the good.

[​IMG]

And now the bad.

[​IMG]

Always check your ammo!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Proof again that factory ammo is no "safer" than reloads, it all comes down to quality control and paying attention. Always irks me when someone at the range tells me they dont "trust"reloads and they'll load round after round of factory ammo into their magazines without even glancing at them like all factory ammo is perfect and "trustworthy".

Thanks for posting and reminding us to check All ammo
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

wow!

didya call em and give them the coal of that odd one?
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You have identified a potentially very dangerous situation. I am not sure what bullet is in the defective rounds; but opine that it is likely a gross over-pressure situation should one of these already +P rounds get into a 9x19 pistol, go into battery, and be fired.

Contact Winchester, and try to get an email address that you can send photos to. Be sure to include the lot number from the package.

It looks like Winchester needs to have another recall!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a box of Remington 180 grain 44 magnum. It was good shooting ammo but one round was very quiet. I looked at the rounds cases in my revolver and one was a 44 special. I then looked the other shells over and found one more.

How could they let 2 44 special shells slip into a box of magnums? If this would have been the other way around trying to shoot 44 mags in a 44 special could be real bad...
  6. soundguy

if they don't have you send it in.. pull it so you (we :) ) can see what projectile it is.. . etc.. etc..
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

sun of a gun tell them to send u a free box
  8. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I can tell you Winchester is doing nothing about it. I emailed them, I called them (gets the machine every time). I even emailed Odin (sent the pics) and they gave me the Winchester number.

I still buy Win ammo but I examine each and every cartridges. What I showed here were the only screw ups of all the ammo I bought.

By the way, the company had a row with the union members over relocating so this might be sabotage on the part of the members I don't know but I think the company have enough problems without us adding to it.
  9. soundguy

A good gun won't fire out of battery.. but a malfunctioning one might.. or a cheaper one.. .. don't need out of spec ammo from a major manufacturer.
  10. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

thats the same ammo I use in my carry guns it looks rounded like a 38/357 it will fit in the case of a 9mm with a little force but the machine wouldnt realize anything Ill have to check mine a little closer
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i could be about moving and the people are ticked
  12. soundguy

you know.. now that you mention it. i picked up a bag of some 38/357 at a show a while back.. and it does look darn simialr!!!
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The major worry with this ammo is the bullet being a significantly heavier weight; being propelled by an already +P powder charge for a lighter weight bullet; but most importantly that the cycling slide could cram it significantly deeper into the case and go fully into battery and then be fired.

Now we have a bullet that is likely too heavy for an already heavy (maximum) powder charge, that has been crammed significantly deeper into the case, which will by itself raise pressures to very dangerous levels with a normal powder charge and a correct weight bullet.

The shooter pulls the trigger, and the gun becomes a photo exhibit for a catastrophic failure.
  14. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

That's correct. It does look like a 38/357 bullet, probably a 125 grainer.

I was lucky because the very first round I chambered, the slide did not go to battery on my Sigma. I couldn't budge the slide so I got my rubber mallet, go out to my back yard and tapped the slide closed enough so I can pull it open. I found one in the mag and three more in the boxes for a total of five.

EDIT: This is where I started checking the ammo from then on. Like most others I took the factory ammo for granted.
  15. soundguy

wow.. so far the worst luck I've had on ammo is finding a dud or two in bulk pack stuff.. some 'wrong' casses of bagged brass ( found an 8mm mauser, and a small handfull of 30-06 in with some 270 I bought ) and way way back when I bought lrn 380 reloads from a local store I found one split case mouth and deep seated bullet that was deformed to boot..

scarry stuff.

heavy bullet there = more pressure...
  16. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

If you can see the bulge lines in the casings you should see the wrong bullet seated shallower than the normal cartridge on the left. Both have the same OAL. This makes me think it's a 125 grain 38/357 bullet.
  17. soundguy

too hard to see the detail on my mobile device .. etc.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill betcha money they got the 124 .355s for the 9mm mixed up with a case of the 125 .357s for the .38/.357. They should shoot fine but that isnt the point. Id definitely rake em over the coals on that one..