Google Chrome Browser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacksonco, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Does anyone here use it. I started using it a few days ago right after I got my new pc and monitor. I like it a lot better than Firefox or Explorer.

As for my new pc & monitor I got a Dell Inspiron 537 with 2.5 ghz Intel dual core processor and 4 gigs of ram. Hard drive is 640 gigs. It also included a Dell 22" HD wide screen monitor. Has the Vista 64 bit operating system but it will get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released in October. All this for just $499 with free next day delivery from Staples. My final cost with tax was $530. I thought I got a pretty decent setup for a good price. I am as happy as a cat in a tuna processing plant :D
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Congrats on the Dell. That sounds like a deal.

I saw the offer for Google Chrome today. Didn't do it.

We went in the store to get a new laptop today. Actually we went in to get a movie, started looking at laptops, and the movie was forgotten and we convinced ourselves our home PC situation was substandard.

I wanted an HP. Shellie was undecided. I wanted a big 17" screen. She wanted more compact...like 12" initially, then 15" when she saw how itty bity that is.

We couldn't compromise. I bought a HP G70-250US notebook. I bought her a Dell Studeo. And a G wireless router so her, my oldest daughter, and me can get on the net without waiting for someone to logg off.

Cost $1,600 and change, but I guess we're compromised without the compromise.

When I was configuring the computers today, I stuck with Explorer because I've heard Google is collecting data on everyone. Maybe I'm paranoid.
  3. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I have a pdf document that highlights their "activities" put together by a team of people in Europe. Below is the title of the report, and titles of some of the sections in it. I've only glanced through the highlights, personally, but that was enough for me to de-google myself!

Report on dangers and opportunities posed by
    large search engines, particularly Google

September 30, 2007

H. Maurer, Co-author, editor and responsible for the project, Institute for
    Information Systems and Computer Media, Graz University of Technology

Section 8: Emerging Data Mining Applications: Advantages and Threats.......... 75
    Appendix 4: Restricting the View and Connecting the Dots – Dangers of a Web Search
    Engine Monopoly ................................................................................. 161
    Appendix 5: Data Mining is becoming Extremely Powerful, but Dangerous........ 169
    Appendix 6: Emerging Data Mining Applications: Advantages and Threats .......180
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I had also heard that Google was collecting info from their search engine usage. But I am not too concerned about it. Who isn't collecting info these days. Just about all the grocery chains have a card price and a regular price and if you don't use the card they charge you more. All our credit card info is collected and used.

Besides I feel that they would find my life to be quite boring and unimportant in the grand scheme of things. All the interesting stuff happened in my youth before the electronic info age had really taken off. :eek:
  5. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

lol jackson.....I hear what you're saying. I'm probably deluding myself to think that Firefox isn't in the same game as Google. In any case, enjoy your new 'puter! Sounds like a great deal...congrats!
  6. Browning A-Bolt, .30-06 BOSS, Retail: $1319.00.

[​IMG]

Just kidding, Delta! :D;):p Had you bought a rifle instead of a computer, you might not have survived the trip home! ;)
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Geez Pistol, you are going to have his wife on your case LOL :)

EDIT:That sure is a nice looking rig! yummy
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I ran firefox for a brief time. It did not work very well...i was having problems continiously. I deleted it and went back to IE. I have no intent of trying google chrome...

mike
    gn
  9. swanshot

swanshot New Member

YEAH I'm running Google chrome. It's just another browser. Some you beaut, flash stuff, but nothing to write home about.
    As for Google collecting information, I just don't give a rats arse anymore.
    Every man and his dog is doing it. I console myself with the knowledge that they must be very bored with what they have extracted from me.
  10. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

every now and then my email freezes up for a while, go back later an itz ok, am using AOL. buddy of mine says switch to google chrome----WOT SAY U???:cool:
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When I downloaded Google Earth, it brought a copy of Google Chrome with it.
    Free.
    I tried it a few times, and have to admit it is much faster than IE.
    I keep it on the desk top for those times that I am doing speed-surfing -
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When I bought this system, AOL came free for 90 days.
    After listening to me scream and pound the desk for only one week, my wife begged me to BUY the ISP service I wanted, and to HECK with the free trial.
    Which I did.
    AOL caused me tons of problems, including the temporary freezes you mention.
    I switched to Earthlink and stayed with them for some years, but then they started falling apart, and I went to Hughes Net Satellite service.
    I have had a COUPLE problems that required me to call 'bob', whose real name is more like Raji, but the system itself is reasonably good and solid. It is getting slower lately, though, indicating they have oversold their present capacity, but with the lawsuits against them I expect that to improve.
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

When I had AOL I found myself having the same problems you described. The AOL browser is worse than IE. I left AOL and went to NetZero for a short time but I am now on SkyWayUSA satellite internet and like it much better.
  14. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I use Yahoo for my email and as my homepage. They do a great job with spam filtering on my email and if anything does come through as spam, I just click the spam button and it remembers that, etc, etc. and I have had no problems with Yahoo and/or its search engine, which works very quickly. Yahoo also keeps an antivirus program on and detects anything coming through to me and tells me if I still want to keep it or open it; I don't if they've detected a virus. I'm not a fan of Google and wasn't even when they first came online. They were extremely slow at that time. And Jacksonco, I love Patrick McManus! Great stuff!
  15. SARG

SARG Member

Google Chrome is now my exclusive browser. Like its' features and it's free to download.

Got IE and Firefox on the machine.... but keep going back to the Chrome.