Goose?.. NO! GEESE!!!(big pics)

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Chinook, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Got a real deal, day off today, and decided to fufill my waterfowl pleasures that were kind of left "hangin" yesterday. 2 birds shy of an Oregon Waterfowl limit. I got my 4 Canada Geese right off the bat. I was just sittting behind some brushy cover on the bank, with a half dozen floater decoys out. Just simple calls got these two groups to dump into my lap. I busted 2 from the first group, and 2 more, plus a Hen Mallard too, about 20 minutes later, when the next group came in. I broke down and bought a few boxes of Winchester BlindSide Steel. I am hooked. Performed flawlessly in my 870 Express Super Mag. An absolutely POWERFUL load from our friends at Winchester. I ended up packin up shop, and moving upriver a ways, and saw a few small groups of diver ducks bust me, and fly down river... I threw the camo net over the boat, threw out a dozen and a half duck deeks, and sat back. I called at every group that flew by, and most would give the "look" but none commited fully Till I saw this group of ducks feeding. Prolly 25 yards down from where I was set-up. I couldnt believe I didnt see them dump in! Knowing this might happen, and having had it happen plenty before, I was prepared. I posted up in a spot where if I threw the anchor, and started drifting to them, the tree covver forces the ducks to go upstream, and sweep out to the center of the river... Diver ducks take FOREVER to get up off the deck... They were dead before they knew I was there. I threw the cover off the boat, they jumped, and as they flew by at 30 yds I took two shots, and dropped 2 birds with each shell. 3 Black ducks, and another hen Shovelbill. Im pretty sure the Drake Shoveler was downed, but im not quite sure. I waited around for 20 or 30 minutes to see if he'd pop up, but to no avail. All in all, a great day on the Upper Willamette River, out of West Linn, OR. 2 ducks shy of a duck limit, but I got my first limit of geese for the season...the first day I targeted them! I'm pretty amped!

I dunno 'bout the rest of you, but I cant really concentrate on much while the Waterfowl are present for harvest! Good luck all, and lets hear how the hunting goes for you!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nice haul !!!
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great shooting with both the gun and the camera. Making me hungry!
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Looks like another great hunt!
  5. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Thanks guys!
    I really do enjoy eating ducks, and geese. I dont think they are too gamey, or too dry. They are just right! 'Specially when you lightly broil them in butter, and seasonings, and serve it over a bed of lettuce, or noodles!
  6. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I love to put goose breast in a croc pot with chicken broth and seasoning, then let it cook for 8 hours. The meat just falls apart. Then I'll dice the meat, mix it with celery and mayo and have a goose breast salad sandwiche for the next hunt. darn, now i'm hungry.
  7. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

Looks like a great day of hunting.We have until Nov 15 for our season to open back up .Can't wait
  8. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Dang! That does sound excellent! I bet the sammiches are pretty satisfying the next hunt day! Thats for sure. HAHAHAHA! Im gonna try the crock pot idea tho! Thanks for the tip JstGsn!

Grizz, do you guys get extended Goose hunts. We have both an "Early"(September) and a "Late"(February to March) Goose season. The rivers/lakes close, but Farmlands are open til near Spring time!
  9. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

We do have an early season in Sept , but I,m usually in Maine.It comes back in NOV for a week or so then comes back in late Dec thru Jan.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Congrats Chinook! Keep the pics comin!
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Dude, I am green with envy. I want to go goose hunting so bad. There's a place in north Texas that has hunts and I want to go kill some big ol Canada geese and fill up my freezer!! Ummmmmm gooooooooose :D

Thanks for the pics and story. Keep it coming.
  12. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Thats some big geese
  13. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

WARNING! Do not cook them overnight in the crock pot. By 3 AM the house smells so good you'll be up like me, ravenous!
  14. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Beautiful. Is the liver eaten by anyone?
  15. vytoland

vytoland New Member

how many geeeses can one man eat:eek:
  16. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Hahahaha! I bet lettin my crockpot stew overnight would create frenzy in a house with a few hungry dudes! Hahaha!

And yes, I do eat both the liver, and the heart out of the Geese, and "Puddle" ducks("Divers" are very...Robust.) that I harvest. I slice it thin, and pan fry it in butter, and spices. Simple, but not much more than an appetizer!

A lot! I make plenty of Goose-aroni!