The Firearms Forum banner

Got a chance to shoot more .380 reloads - one FTF

753 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Shot some more of the .380's I've been reloading. Really nice groups at 3yds (pulled one - had a sub 1" group going up to shot 5, darn it!) and 7yds. In fact, I'm getting consistent 1.5" groups at 7 yards. All of these are shot while standing with no rest with a Ruger LCP. 10 yards isn't bad but 15 yards starts to spread out a bit. I'd say 15 yards is the outer limit for this pistol anyway. I pulled a couple, those weren't flyers.

Had one FTF. Waited 30 seconds with the gun pointed downrange, then ejected the shell. The primer had a solid strike on it, so I know it wasn't the gun. I put it back in and it fired on the second go 'round. Not sure what the problem was? And, of course I lost that piece of brass so I can't examine it closer. Also not sure; should I have given it a second chance? It did fire and seemed normal on the second go 'round.

I have to say that these rounds are definitely more accurate than any factory ammo I've ever shot.

Here's the targets.

Line Parallel

Line Parallel Square

Oh yeah, I also picked up a bunch of 9mm brass at the range... and I don't even have a 9mm - I think that's a sign of something. I've been wanting a Glock, hmmm....

See less See more
#4 ·
That's pretty decent shooting for an LCP. Plus it feels good to know that you "rolled your own" ammo too.

As for that one fail-to-fire. I'd almost suspect that you didn't have the primer seated completely in the pocket. the firing pin spent too much energy seating the primer when you pulled the trigger on that one. On the second time around, I'd bet the primer was seated fully and it ignited with no problem.

Yup. That's what led to my first 9mm purchase. And my .44mag. And my first 7x57. Etc.....
Now I've got this big pail of .40S&W range-pickup brass in the basement now too...with nothing to use em in. Hmmm?!?!? :D

#5 ·
I think that very respectful shooting of that little LCP. I like mine and enjoy pushing the envelope on the steel hanging out a bit after I have done the close quarters drill.

As to the picking up brass for a gun you don't own, well I have the same problem. Then I had to buy dies since I had the brass and then, well just as well get some bullets and load them up. I am still loading .40 S&W and .223 but no gun for either but my friends are more than helpful solving the problem of unloading them.

#9 ·
The problem is the target. Bring the target 2 inches from the gun. You can shoot thru the same hole. Both you and the gun work fine. Move the target way back. Not using the same hole anymore...obviously the problem followed the target, hence the target is the problem, not you or the gun....

#8 ·
Yep, I discovered a bunch of .40 S&W brass when sorting through my range pick-ups (I just dump a bunch of brass into a bucket when I got home and had gone several months/range trips before sorting). I have about 200 cases for a caliber I don't have a gun for, and haven't even shot a .40!o_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.