Got A Deer

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ninjatoth, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

Well,this is my first year out on my own hunting(last year being my first ever hunt)and I got a deer.Yesterday was opening day and I saw nothing,all day.This morning I went out and saw three small does,but didn't get a shot.I have a doe tag,so I can take either bucks or does.Well,at about noon today,three more does crossed the river and was coming straight tword me.One doe was leading them and she was the biggest.I pulled up my .444 and fired off a shot while she was moving,and down she goes followed by a loud groan,I went up to her and she was still breathing,I contemplated a finishing shot,but a few seconds later she expired on her own.I did not hit any vitals,yet she was down with one shot.I also gashed my head open with the scope because I was pumped up for the shot and didn't brace the gun well.Then I dressed it and went and got the furniture dolly and rolled it 300 yards back to the house,now she is at the processor's right now getting ready to eat.Well,I still got a buck tag that needs to be filled,wish me luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Nice work!
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Allright!

Don't feel bad about the scope thing. I think it has happened to all of us at one time. I got mine shooting a turkey. I came out of the stand and was walking down to my bike and a flock of turkey came around the corner like they were going to run me over. Holy smokes! Pow, boot to the head. :D
  4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I made a poor shot and yet she dropped.I aimed for the vitals,but she was moving from right to left and the bullet hit high and right.Look at my picture I downloaded and drew on,it shows the shot I made.My question is,why did she drop so fast and die so quickly?Is it normal for that kind of a shot to do that,and did it have something to do with me using a .444 marlin?

Attached Files:

5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Was the spine hit?
  6. cycloneman

I am going with placement of the bullet. The spine must have been damaged from the shot. There are heavy blood vessels that run along the spine and the loss of blood pressure would be intense. Must have been a mess field dressing?

I shot a doe many years ago on the run in mid air jumping a fence and hit her in about the same spot you did. The bullet connected in mid air and her feet went out from under her. She never knew what hit her.
  7. cycloneman

Good morning there Pinecone
  8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I don't think the spine was hit,there was alot of blood but no vitals or intestines hit.My mom thinks I hit a blood vessel and she bled out really fast.My brother says that when he got a deer with the .444 that he did the same thing,missed vitals,but the deer still went flying and hit a tree.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Ninja,

Congrats Buddy, you did it. OMG, that's a huge doe! :eek: BTW, did she hurt her head when she fell down? :D

If you hit her where you said, you hit her spine. That will put anything down man or beast in a slit second.

Good call Pinecone.
  10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

What do you think she weighed live?I thought 150,but the guy at the meat packers claims 100 max.I am expecting at least 30 lbs of venison.I think that quick killed does are going to be the best venison out there.
  11. cycloneman

guessing 130. is the processor making sausage? if so you will get more that 30lbs. you will get more than 30lbs period.
  12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

well,it's dusk on the last day of firearms deer hunting season here in Michigan,so the season if officially over,and I didn't even get a chance to go out today:(.Maybe I will buy a cheap muzzleloader and try during black powder season,I seen some online for like 120 bucks new.
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

as far as the shots concerned a bad shot with a .444 will still do the trick in a lot of cases. My buddy had a terrible shot with his 45-70 and still dropped it in its tracks. By the way Congrats!!

to your last post i have a cheap muzzleloader i bought 8 years ago for 80 bucks and its shoots fantastic! havent taken any shots over 125yrds. however in michigan its hard to get that chance.
  14. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Congrats on the deer! Nice doe for sure.

I agree with the others from your picture it appears that you hit the spine. It has been my experience that any shot in the spine or neck area will drop a deer in its tracks and it will usually expire a short time after, sometimes you may have to shoot it again, but usually they expire when hit in the neck or spine.

I have over the years shot several with a bow and my shotgun in those areas and they all dropped on the spot.