Got a deer............

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by netexasemt, Oct 18, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

18 days into the season, the 4th or 5th day in the blind and there he came, nice little 1.5 year old buck. I had been in the blind for a solid 4 minutes. Had a really good evening!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats.... but what the heck ??? No pics ???? :tapfoot::tapfoot: Just how far North of Dallas are you from really??? :D :lmao:
  3. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Pics might be good huh? I'll wake up in a little while. Got him with a crossbow. Here the little thing is, just remember - You CAN'T eat the horns, so they don't matter. Please notice dad in the background with his mouth watering and little brother impatiently waiting to cut something.

Attached Files:

4. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Wooleyworm - I am about 80 miles East of Dallas. Thank you.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Darn right ya can't. Good healthy deer that is going to be mighty tasty; lemme know when you got the backstraps in the cast iron skillet ! ;)
  6. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

That sounds good right now. I got most of this one made into summer sausage w/ jalapenos and cheese! :) Still have a little venison left in the freezer from last year.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Good deal. I really miss Pa deer huntin around first of december. Our hunting in Alaska is in August & September; by Dec it's minus 40. Back East, tears back, I use to sit up on wooded ridges and look down hundreds of yards through the snow, trees, and mountain laurel and always see deer moving through.

I still believe some of our Pa Whitetails were much smarter than the moose I currently hunt.
  8. Chinook

Chinook New Member

That is a delicious looking deer! Great work puttin one on the deck with a crossbow!
    Size doesnt really matter to me either.
    Im about feeding my hungry arse, and my live in, and extended familes.
  9. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I would love to visit Alaska some time. I'd have to go see Russel Knight at his taxidermy shop. Minus 40, I'll pass on that! The coldest I have been was Minus 8 with a nasty wind in Iowa when getting loaded with some alfalfa, My nose was running and the snot froze before it reached my upper lip, I didn't care for that at all. My truck wouldn't even idle, it automatically kicked the RPM's up because of the cold.

Thanks Chinook, the processor I generally take my deer to was killed in an auto accident this summer so we found a new guy that started up last year nearby. I have heard nothing but good about the quality of his work and his shop is extremely clean. He charges way too little for the Summer Sausage in my opinion but he'll get that straightened out as he gets more into it.

Cold summer sausage in 10 days, mmmmm...................
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good huntin ! puttin meat on the table is all that counts

you did that.. cheers
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Congratulations! Looks like you made a good shot too! Hey, are those knife handles growing out of that deer's head?:D
  12. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Sorry to hear about your processors untimely passsing. Always hard to find new blood, after getting used to someone, and their operation for a while. I had to find a new place to take my meat for processing into sausage/ and general jerky/smoking. But like you, I think I have found a great guy here locally.

Enjoy the full freezer this winter, and just a week and a half turnaround for some tasty sausage huh? Thats pretty reasonable! Really reasonable actually!
  13. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Nice shot!!Thanks for sharing with us...
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I buy this jerky mix called Uncle Abes from sausage maker out of Buffalo N.Y. It was on sale a couple weeks back, 5 lb tubs were 22 bucks. bought 4 tubs and it will last me a few years as we usually have 5-6 caribou or more in freezers. Best I found and no joke, all our caribou get used for jerky. My kids are away at school and they practically live on the stuff. I grind, mix, dehydrate it. Trick is to make mix 1 1/2 what they suggest and you'll be lickin your fingers. No joke, Uncle Abes; order some. you won't regret it; I've been using it over 25 years and nothing else compares.
  15. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a good hunt!