Got a New gun.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cpttango30, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

So I am at my boy hood home visiting my parents. Started talking to my stepdad and he offered me one of my favorite guns. It's a M98 target rifle with a Douglas barrel chambered in 25 Niedner with a nice heavy taper, this is topped with an old Lyman All American 10x scope.

I have shot squirrels out to 500 yards with this gun. So I think I am going to load her up and use her for a few midrange matches.

[​IMG]
  2. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Nice rifle.

Even better is that firearms are one of the few things you don't mind if they are hand me downs.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is cool. We will need a range report.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have 25 caliber projectiles- 87 and 100 grain Sierra's I will let go for a song...
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Very nice - I've never heard of that cartridge, old wildcat?
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

HOW in the HELL did your Dad EVER get involved with a 25 Niedner???????
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

armoredman: It is the precursor to the 25-06.

OZO: My grandfather picked up from a gun store in Redding CA back in the 70's.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

25-06 is a good round herb it up and you get a 300 meter almost flat trajectory , drops fast past that but whooooeee does it hit !!

good score !!
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Nice rifle.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE rifle indeed!
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Started cleaning it up the other day. Took quit a bit of cleaning to get the copper out of the barrel but it is gone and it is a nice fresh boar. I started with some 320 grit sand paper on the barrel need to get some emery cloth from 320 to 600 grit and get it polished up. I am going to wait till the weather cools off a little to refinish the stock.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

320 is pretty coarse unless there are some really deep pits in the barrel. I would typically start a polishing project like that with 400, then step up to 600, and finish up with 1000/1200 or 1500 grit.
    I have good luck with just plain old wet-or-dry sandpaper used for automotive refinishing. And yes I use water to lube the sandpaper as I'm working...I just make sure it gets completely dried off when I'm finished up for the day. Use a hairdryer or heat gun to dry it.

That is a nice looking rifle except for the barrel (which doesn't look that bad from your pic). I've salvaged worse!

Any idea when it was built? I'm assuming it was pre-'69 (pre-.25-06Rem) since you're calling it a .25 Neider.
    I love the .25-06 nearly as much as I love all of my .264" bore cartridges. I'm partial to almost all of the medium-bores though.

And yup, a range report is definitely needed once you get her all cleaned up! Aw heck, shoot it first...clean it up later! :)
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The finish was about 320 to start. I will get a pic of the barrel tonight.
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Forgot to take a picture of the barrel. I tried 320 and it was just too fine to get the dirt and grime off the barrel. I went and got some 220 and it is looking good. Might work it down to 600 but I think I am going to stop at 400.

Started striping the stock tonight testing some stripper I got at lowes. It didn't work so Sanding it is. Once it is stripped I am going to hit it with a little classic walnut stain and then use a sanding filler then it will get about 20 or so coats or of Deft Gloss clear lacqure. Oh this baby is going to be ROCKIN when I get it done.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

want to see finished product please