Got a New gun.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cpttango30, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

So I am at my boy hood home visiting my parents. Started talking to my stepdad and he offered me one of my favorite guns. It's a M98 target rifle with a Douglas barrel chambered in 25 Niedner with a nice heavy taper, this is topped with an old Lyman All American 10x scope.

I have shot squirrels out to 500 yards with this gun. So I think I am going to load her up and use her for a few midrange matches.

[​IMG]

2. Nice rifle.

Even better is that firearms are one of the few things you don't mind if they are hand me downs.

3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That is cool. We will need a range report.

4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have 25 caliber projectiles- 87 and 100 grain Sierra's I will let go for a song...

5. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

Very nice - I've never heard of that cartridge, old wildcat?

6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Nashville TN
    HOW in the HELL did your Dad EVER get involved with a 25 Niedner???????

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

armoredman: It is the precursor to the 25-06.

OZO: My grandfather picked up from a gun store in Redding CA back in the 70's.

8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    25-06 is a good round herb it up and you get a 300 meter almost flat trajectory , drops fast past that but whooooeee does it hit !!

good score !!

9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    marion indiana
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    NICE rifle indeed!

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Started cleaning it up the other day. Took quit a bit of cleaning to get the copper out of the barrel but it is gone and it is a nice fresh boar. I started with some 320 grit sand paper on the barrel need to get some emery cloth from 320 to 600 grit and get it polished up. I am going to wait till the weather cools off a little to refinish the stock.

12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2007
    ND, USA
    320 is pretty coarse unless there are some really deep pits in the barrel. I would typically start a polishing project like that with 400, then step up to 600, and finish up with 1000/1200 or 1500 grit.
    I have good luck with just plain old wet-or-dry sandpaper used for automotive refinishing. And yes I use water to lube the sandpaper as I'm working...I just make sure it gets completely dried off when I'm finished up for the day. Use a hairdryer or heat gun to dry it.

That is a nice looking rifle except for the barrel (which doesn't look that bad from your pic). I've salvaged worse!

Any idea when it was built? I'm assuming it was pre-'69 (pre-.25-06Rem) since you're calling it a .25 Neider.
    I love the .25-06 nearly as much as I love all of my .264" bore cartridges. I'm partial to almost all of the medium-bores though.

And yup, a range report is definitely needed once you get her all cleaned up! Aw heck, shoot it first...clean it up later! :)

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The finish was about 320 to start. I will get a pic of the barrel tonight.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Forgot to take a picture of the barrel. I tried 320 and it was just too fine to get the dirt and grime off the barrel. I went and got some 220 and it is looking good. Might work it down to 600 but I think I am going to stop at 400.

Started striping the stock tonight testing some stripper I got at lowes. It didn't work so Sanding it is. Once it is stripped I am going to hit it with a little classic walnut stain and then use a sanding filler then it will get about 20 or so coats or of Deft Gloss clear lacqure. Oh this baby is going to be ROCKIN when I get it done.

15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    naugatuck,Ct.
    want to see finished product please