Got a ? on .223 seater.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Just at the end of about 250 rounds of .223 that I finished I found that the finished product was coming out with a bulge below the shoulder. I had not done this until the last few. I need to know what could be causing the problem? I have never had this happen and the dies are still set just the way they have always been. I have five that now have to be unloaded and I don't want to waste any brass or anything else so please help. Thanks as always and I hope that everyone is getting lots of loading done with the snow and cold weather we are getting.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Check the inside of the die to see if there are some shaved rings of bullet jacket material built up inside the die.

If your case mouths arent' chamfered quite enough, you can get a little ring of jacket material shaved off of the bullet as it's seated. Sometimes these get stuck up inside the seater die.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks Bindernut. I wiped it out with a Q-tip and rem-oil, but maybe I need to spray some cleaner in it.
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I just used compressed air up inside the die and got quite a few copper shavings out. I figure you are right Binder. Again thanks. I just wasn't getting up inside it enough with the Q-tip.