Got a question about cats.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun runner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The natives in Tiger country wear a halloween mask of a human face backwards on their head. A tiger will never attack from the front. The natives have found that if they wear the face mask, the tiger will not attack because it always thinks you are facing him. Essentially you have a face on the front and the back of your head.
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I recently read an article about cats while I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office. The article said that all cat species are related in origini. It also said that the American House Cat is the most efficient and skilled hunter on earth. It kills more species of livinig creatures each year than all other hunters/predators combined.
    I questioned that last statement until I watched one of the cats on my property hunt under a flood light one night. I saw it catch, kill and eat at least 50 different kinds of insects and small creatures inside of a couple of hours time.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I like having a few feral cats around my property, because ever since they showed up we have not seen any snakes or rats. The feral cat population started to get out of control, but then 2 owls showed up. The only feral cats that live more than a few months now are solid black. I guess it is hard for owls to see black cats at night.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Trap them and paint them with glow in the dark paint then let them go.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

glo in the dark paint ball would be safer

ever trapped a feral cat ?

ya want welding gear on
  6. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

Feral cats are vermin. My cat is a pet, since I live in town I don't have to worry about her being shot, if she gets out of the house.

I've been told that feral cats are a cause of reduced quail populations.
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I didnt know that, thats new to me. I always heard how cougars stalk you then attack kind of like the other cougars :D
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Why yes I have dealt with trapped feral cats. If they were too bad I just nuked them in the cage.

I was a vet tech for 3 years in the military. Feral cats would be placed in a 35 gal trash bag in side the trap I would then take Halothane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halothane) soaked 4x4 gauze pads and drop 10 of them in the bag tie it closed and in 30 minutes or less you had Dead feral cat in a bag well done.

One got out on me one time and it was a clinic destroying experience that left me bruised battered scratched and pissed and him dead.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

welding gear? haha :D
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah there are all kinds of cats from lazy couch potatos to playful hunters to all out born to hunt felines.

My grandmother always took in or helped animals we had plenty of land and a barn they could play/hunt in, one black one we nicknamed "JAWS", it was probably a drop-off but was a hunter...and take a bite out of you if it felt like it.

I used to play box with it until she got tired of it and would just clamp on my arm. Not the normal pet just a little bad azz cat.

Now true ferals, no thanks!!
  11. langenc

langenc Member

One neighbor has cats and NO LITER BOX, just a cat door.

Neighbor across the street has several (how many, whoknows) that live under a shed. She feeds em couple times a day and wonders why they dont go somewhere else!! I told her it is jusyt like welfare-why go somewhere else?? She asked my wife if I wouldnt shoot em.. No that is illegal.

Why is it that dogs have to be licensed and leashed. Cats just run at will?? Could be a windfall amt of $$ for govt. LICENSE CATS
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Have 5 goats, 3 sheep (and the goats and sheep will be grown to small herd sizes), 3 dogs and 2 cats. Both cats stay in the house. We have a huge fenced dog run for our dogs and they aren't allowed to run loose (except when our dog Jysky is herding, but then he is under constant, direct supervision by me). Neighbor has 20 cats - all run loose. Granted, we don't have a rodent problem, but, any of those cats hurt the sheep or goats and they will become very dead, very fast. Same goes for dogs around here. The law here is 'You have to be responsible for your pets. If they attack or terrorize livestock, the livestock owner is allowed to shoot them'. Keep in mind that if a dog or cat attacks or terrorizes livestock, they aren't at home, they are trespassing on someone else's property. This is a livestock area of the country and we have wolves, coyotes and mountain lions. As long as they stay in the mountains there is no problem. When they come into the valleys because they are too lazy to go after deer to eat, then it's a problem and they will get shot on sight in a pasture. A doctor up the road from us lost 3 of her shetland sheep and one of her Great Pyrenees livestock guard dogs to wolves last winter.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cat pooping ion your azalea's is one thing

wiping out someones home chicken coop , guinea pig hutch is another but just as common

cats should be indoors at night , dumb things get run over a lot too

nothing wrong with responsible pet owners .. wish more folks where like em as the folks who aint just make it tough for the rest

and here we are ..

as much as i like the idea to licence cats , i cant bring myself to support another law that will be abused and used as a revenue raiser for the mutt;s, i could see some old dear getting a ATF style raid as she had one too many ..