Got a quick question.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gun runner, Dec 18, 2011.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont know where this should belong cause i dont see an optic section here at tff. Is a 4 - 16 x 40 a more power scope than a 6-24x50 or 40:confused:

Thanks
    John
  2. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Oh yeah, I can get a BSA model with mil dot at Academy for $99.99. I want to try not to spend a whole lot of money if I can get buy with this one. Is the BSA brand any good? :confused:

Another thing, Its for my new Savage .223 Bolt
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

No the 4-14 is not bigger than a 6-24 and the x40 or 50 is the bell size of the glass on the front end of the scope. Do not buy the 99 dollar special. Rhttp://personalsecurityzone.com/Riflescope_school.htm READ , LEARN
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Oh okay thanks. :D , You know buying a scope that costs more than the actual gun $648 and change new is not my cup of tea but I can still reconsider :D
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Google simmons whitetail classic rifle scope.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

How about the Millet LRS 1 6.5-25x56? I was planning to invest in one of those for some long distance shooting, price seems right?
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

That will work especially for the price, its on sale at Midway.
    A Simmons 6.5-20x50

Since I do alot of hog hunting and predator hunting at the farm I dont really think I need a REAL high powered scope but I do like to target alot but I think this will work out alright until I get some more cash.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Ill look at some other ones before I make my decision.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

How ya gonna mount it? 50mm is pretty big.:eek:

I have the classic on an AR and use this:
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

The lense 'barely' clears the barrel shroud. I'm talking credit card clearance.

Don't skimp on rings, and lap them if ya can. :)
  10. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

OK, let me put in my $10 (inflation) from my days when I did rifles. Don't nobody pound on me if I get too basic here.

The 6-24X50 numbers mean 6 to 24 power zoom capability. The 50 means that the objective lens (the front lens) is 50mm in diameter. Normally, the bigger the objective lens the more light gathering the scope is capable of. This can be important if you tend to hunt in low light conditions such as dense forest or twilight hours. High zoom levels tend to attenuate the light that reaches the ocular lens (the rear lens) and your eye. Also, the higher the zoom level the narrower the field of view and possible difficulty in acquiring your target.

Scope selection should be carefully based on the type of hunting. Hunting in the woods and dense brush is best done with more consideration given to low magnification (1.5X-4X), wide field of view and good light gathering. Cross valley work requires high magnification and good spotting binoculars.

There are many other considerations in scope quality that may, in fact, drive the price past that of the gun it is mounted on. But, a scope can be switched between guns and I would hate to think that a cheap scope cost me that one shot on a hunting trip I had been planning for two years.