1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Got an LCR

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Terry_P, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Got some safe queen trading material and went to a local retailer and they gave me a fair price for my trades so did the deal. I really like the weight and the out of the box trigger is excellent. Will hit the range tomorrow and see how it shoots with a variety of ammo. I will have to put some paint on the front sight as my 62 year old eyes don't want to pick it up. I'm psyched.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

That's wonderful, be sure to post up a report! :D
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I went over to a new gun store in the area and I was looking at a few of their handguns.. They had a LCP with some kind of laser added to the front of the trigger guard that really looked good. They had it laying next to one of the little Taurus .380's, that is also a good looking little pistol. I have a Kel-Tec P3AT which was the one that Ruger copied the LCP from. I have a LCR and it is a neat little revolver.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Got the LCP and LCR mixed up a little GD ! ;) Both interesting little guns, I would like to fire the LCR. The LCP's are sweet for the price and purpose.

Congrats, Can't wait to see the range report and some pics Terry !
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry about that, I do have the LCR myself. I was thinking LCP when I posted, I made a little correction to the post. Thanks for pointing that out for me, woolley.
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

no problem, just a minor brain poof there. Happens to me daily :D
  8. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have been shooting my LCR for a couple months now.
    GREAT trigger. Really smooth and easy to use even for noobs.
    The accuracy is better than I had expected from a snubby revolver. I have now moved my range out to about 25 yards plinkin on soda cans. Not bad IMO.

Enjoy your new toy :)
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My high vis sights for now are a white nail polish base covered by orange acrylic paint and then a clear top coat. I did that tonight so I could see the sights tomorrow. I post a report as I have both standard and +P handloads and want to try some Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP-GC. I worked up handloads with the same bullet (made by Rim Rock) that I am trying to duplicate performance for the BB. It looks like excellent self defense ammo.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I too got the LCR this spring and have put a hundred reloads through it along with ten Hornady Critical Defense ($1.00/bang) regular .38 spl. through it. I got one with factory installed Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I carry it in a DeSantis Gunhide Nemisis inside the pocket holster. So far I like every thing about it and it is the primary carry for me. Recoil is less than expected but I haven't tried the +P ammo in it and don't know if I will.

One point I will make is the spring pressure on trigger return is less than that you might find on a J frame S&W. This made me make a conscious effort to complete release finger pressure to allow the trigger to reset rather than riding that trigger forward as I had got in the bad habit of doing with the S&W.

XS Sight Systems has come out with a standard dot tritium front sight but it is a glue on affair. I am hoping they bring out a "Big Dot" that pins on like the factory sight.

I find the laser grip sight rather useless in daylight but it is an amazing accessory in limited light conditions.

Thanks GD for your earlier comments on the LCR, they helped me make the decision.

Todd

I'd buy this revolver again if I had to do it over.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do like a gun that fits in my pocket WITH my cellphone;) and for what they are they are quite accurate with standard ammo. Would steer clear of +P for target practice though. Save for the baddies:)
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I went to the range today and it was 40 degrees which is one of the coldest 4/28's on record in NH plus it was raining in this part of the state (other parts the kids are making snowmen today). Not an idea day but had to go. I shot about 50 rounds thru the LCR and 20 thru my SP. I started with a round the cylinder with some DEWC loads just to get the feel of the revolver. I quickly switched over to +P loads that I had loaded (158 gr LSWCHP-GC) and found the top end load is the most accurate so will load up for future use. I switched over to a jacketed 125 gr +P load that also was loaded on the top end of the load in the manual. I had been shooting at 25 yards with both the LCR and SP and I really wasn't doing well with either except for the top end load with the 158 gr LSWCHP-GC's mentioned earlier. I moved to 7 yards and with the 125 gr jacketed load I was able to get a 1.5" group offhand. I was happy with that today as my hands were cold. The recoil is brisk, especially with the effect of the cold but I didn't feel it was any worse than the SP with near top 357 mag loads. The more I fired it the better I liked the LCR as the trigger is smooth and with the SP in DA mode , I had trouble maintaining the same accuracy as the LCR. It was a short day as I managed to get wet whenever I hung new paper and i was just plain nasty. My initial reaction is I"m going to like the LCR and it's a keeper.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Glad it works for you. I crappy day at the range beats a great day at work;)
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Congrats on your new LCR. They look rather interesting. I probably will never get one as I am more of a pistol type pesonality than a revolver personality. But one never knows what they may do in the future. I could end up with one any way.
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

With me weight was the determining factor. I looked at (sub)compact 9 MM's from Ruger and Springfield and they weren't much different than the SP which weighs in at 24 oz. A 380 doesn't do it for me if you like it great just not for me. At 13 1/2 OZ it fit the bill.