Got my AK today

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/31/01 6:11:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Got my AK today
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Was going to order That Romanian AK 47 today in the 7.62 X 39 caliber, but when I contacted my local FFL dealer who operates out of his house he said he had a brand new one but in a different caliber than what I was going to order it in. He had the Romanian 5.45 X 39 with a 10 and 30 round magazine at a decent price so I bought it. I'm not all that knowledgeable on this gun but I think its designation is AK 74, is that not correct?

Kind of nice not to have to wait for the gun to be shipped, just put it in the car and go home with it.

Hope I made the better choice going with the 220 bullet instead of the 30 caliber version. I was told the 5.45 X 39 could penetrate body armour...is that true? I was also told its the standard issue caliber for the Russian army. Guess that's why they've flooded this country with all their 30 caliber guns.

Now I need to find the right scope mount and scope, and maybe a flash suppressor. Gun already has a nice web carry strap on it. Don't know yet if the gun could use a recoil pad, kind of doubt it.

Anyone out there with any experience with this caliber and gun?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 8/31/01 9:25:29 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/1/01 9:05:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Got my AK today
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got all the Luck GunGuy but I sure am happy for you. I have heard a lot of good things about the AK74 on other boards - some people swear by them. But, I know nothing about how they work. I do know that one of the guys with experience will be by and they'll tell you.

As for me I should have my AK47 next week - going to go have fun myself. Oops, now back to packing.

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/1/01 2:59:43 pm)
    TLynn, some say the 7.62 X 39 caliber is the better long range gun over the 5.45 X 39 caliber I've got.

But who cares, here in the northwoods of Wisconsin we don't have long range shooting, 50 to 100 yards is the norm. Too many trees, but I like my trees.

The only thing I can fault the AK 74 on is the fact it don't seem to have a bolt hold open device. How the duce am I gonna clean this puppy propperly. Maybe I figure some way to jam a screwdriver into the innards to hold the bolt open? Sure wish they was a manual on this gun.

I'm looking for a good but cheap scope mount, (no such thing) maybe a mid power range scope, or maybe a 2.5 to 10 X 42. Got one on my Ruger .44 magnum carbine, its a tack driver at 50 yards...well almost with me on the trigger...ol shakey.

Over in Idaho you have plenty of wide open spaces, so your 7.62 X 39 AK should serve you well. I've shot that caliber in a Romanian SKS and it was rapid fire at 50 yards, very controllable recoil factor...you'll love it.

TLynn, can you give me any of those urls on the AK47 boards, like to read up on the AK74 from people that have them.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 9/1/01 8:32:18 pm

Bob In St Louis
    (9/1/01 3:55:22 pm)
    The AK47 and AK74 are basically the same design - there is a square-shaped button on the back side of the receiver cover - press that button in, lift the receiver cover off. Next, push slightly forward on the spring guide rod to move it out off it's bracket, lift up, and pull the spring, rod, & bolt out - voila! field stripped and ready for cleaning. Very simple, quick and easy ---- Don't go jambing screwdrivers and things in the ejection port!

Sounds like an old buddy of mine - he liked to jamb a certain something in every orifice he could find. Didn't matter what king of orifice. Seems like he was on a steady diet of penicilan too.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/1/01 4:19:09 pm)
    Thanks, Bob. Gonna take that 74 apart right after I'm done answering you. You folks are the best with your helpful info.

What kind of scope mount would you recommend as well as the scope?

Most of my shooting will be done at the 50 to 100 yard range.

GG

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/1/01 5:50:58 pm)
    Well, Bob in St. Louie. You told me just enough to get myself in deep poo poo. I got the spring thingy off OK, but then decided to pull the rod and cam bolt out of the frame so I could look through that new shiney barrel. As per usual didn't pay a whole lot of attention on what went where and had miserable time getting it back together. TLynn, don't try this without help from someone, then again you are probably 10 times smarter than this old fart and would do just fine.

I'm still considering using the screw driver to hold the bolt open.

I'm also impressed with the Russians design technology, but figure they probably stole most of it off their enemies they conqured way back in WW-2.

I'm gonna have to rig up an Uncle Mike quick release sanp sling swivel to the rear butt stock, so I can remove the web strap when I want to. Good strap though.

The darn cleaning rod under the barrel is apparantly for the 30 caliber model as the rod won't fit into the 5.45 X 39 bore. Have to turn the head of it down on a lathe to get a fit.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 9/1/01 8:30:48 pm

Bob In St Louis
    (9/2/01 9:40:18 am)
    Oh -ya, I forgot to mention, make sure to lift the op rod out slowly and watch how the bolt turns coming out of the track so you can put it back in the same way. OOppps-- sorry.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    (9/3/01 7:59:10 pm)
    assaultweb.net/

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/4/01 1:18:44 pm)
    Thanks, Tall T, for the url on Assault Web.com. Great site, from there got another site for AK accessories over at www.tapco.com. Man, they got good prices on their goodies...checkem out when you have time. Like four AK magazines with pouch and stripper clips and other goodies for $16.95.

Even seen 7th Fleet over there.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    (9/4/01 7:36:21 pm)
    Yeah he posts there and I think ladr does now and again and EvilATF and a couple of others.