Got my first 1911!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/5/02 11:08:34 pm)
    Reply Got My First 1911!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy Folks,

I just picked up my first 1911 -- a new, full size Springfield Armory SS "Loaded". I'm pretty excited to go to the range -- once I finish cleaning it. This sucker is dripping in oil.

Do y'all have any suggestions on web sites to learn more about the 1911? Any special tips or tricks I should know/do to enhance my shooting experience? Any break-in, other than going down to the range with a couple boxes of ammo and emptying them?

Thanks . . . .

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/6/02 2:08:30 am)
    Re: Got My First 1911!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congradulations Dark,

Our 1911 folks will be here shortly and can answer
    just about any questions you may have, be sure not
    to over lubricate the gun and run a dry patch through
    the barrel before firing it.

Our staff and some of our members are some of the
    most knowledgeable 1911 folks you will find anywhere!

There is a site however that you may also find helpful
    at times too called www.1911forum.com but
    we try to be more personal here and indepth when we
    give assistance/info to our members.

You made an exellent choice my friend, welcome to the
    world of 1911's!

The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/6/02 9:20:41 am)
    Reply Re: Got My First 1911!
    Hello DarkStar and welcome to the Firearms Forum. As Tac mentined...we do have some of the most knowledgable folks here.
    "In God We Trust... In guns I trust our folks here"

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 1/6/02 9:22:20 am

Xracer
    (1/6/02 10:09:05 am)
    Welcome DarkStar.

There's a whole bunch of us '11Lovers here. Several of us have even built our own guns.

If you've got any questions, fire away (downrange, please).

AntiqueDr
    (1/6/02 10:13:21 am)
    Add another welcome to the list.

After you clean the packing oil off and then lightly relubricate the gun, enjoy shooting it. Word of advice, though... If anyone attempts to get you to shoot Wolf ammo in your new Springfield, kick them square in the danglies. Hard.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Smoky14
    (1/6/02 12:14:37 pm)
    Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, most of it good, and have a good time reading about some of these crazy folks. I'm not real mentally stable myself and I don't spell very well.
    I only have two 1911's so I'm just a piker.
    Keep it clean and don't over oil, unless you like a face full. You should see me after a couple hundred rounds.

I have a box stock Spngfld Govt model that shoots 2in groups at 25yrds and eats most anything I put through it. My Kimber is really good!
    First lier doesn't have a chance!!!!

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/02 12:32:56 pm)
    Congrats-
    On your purchase. I am currently looking at the SA-TRP and the Wilson Combat KZ-45. I am always interested as to how these weapons shoot for others. And as stated before, we have a pretty big following here for 1911.
    Happy days on the range.
    ACE

Edited by: needleace at: 1/6/02 12:38:51 pm

bg
    (1/6/02 6:10:20 pm)
    Hey DarkStar, you're ruined now.Once you get to firing that
    Springfield I don't think you'll quite enjoy anything as much
    again.I looked at a "loaded model" as was very impressed.If
    you decide to get extra mags,it was suggested to me to try
    Wilson-Rodgers 7 or 8 rnd'ers and am I ever glad that I did.
    They are the BEST,as was laid down to me from the folks here.You've got a fine weapon and I hope you enjoy for many
    a day to come.

warpig883
    (1/6/02 8:20:33 pm)
    Congrats on your purchase. I have a series 70 that I love. God bless John Moses Browning for inventing the 1911.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/6/02 11:41:15 pm)
    Thanks for the info and the warm welcomes. I don't post very often, and every time I do, I get welcomed aboard!

AntiqueDr, I'm curious about your comment on Wolf ammo. I've used their 7.62x39 in my Mini 30, AK, and SKS without any problem, and the 9mm in my P89 and Camp 9. I know it is not the best in accuracy, but is there something I don't know about? Will it hurt my 1911? I bought a couple of boxes of Speer Lawman 230 gr FMJ to get started. Is that decent fodder?

I disassembled and cleaned her today. Only thing I had difficulty with was pushing in the recoil spring plug and rotating the barrel bushing at the same time. That recoil spring plug felt pretty sharp! Would a barrel bushing wrench help with that at all? I didn't attempt to touch the ILS or mainspring housing. Also, I noticed that grip feels a little sharp. Do y'all reccomend replacing the grips? If so, with what?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit the range until Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really looking forward to it.

AntiqueDr
    (1/6/02 11:49:35 pm)
    A barrel bushing wrench would certainly help.

Wolf ammo seems to work well in certain calibers in certain types of guns. Generally Eastern Bloc stuff like 7.62x39 in AK's and SKS's, 9x18 in Makarovs, etc.

Bunch of problems reported with their .223 in AR's, .45 ACP in 1911 patterns and 9mm in commercial guns. The general consensus is that the lacquer on the case builds up in the chamber and causes failures to feed/eject. The Speer stuff you have is great, but real expensive. Try some of the bulk US manufacture stuff like white-box Winchester. Then reload, reload, reload.

Remember: Wolf = kick in the danglies.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/7/02 12:01:22 am)
    I picked up the Speer Lawman for $9/box. The Winchester at the same place was $10.95. Is that high for .45 ACP or did I get a dang good deal????

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/7/02 12:06:48 am)
    Also, I am trying to get into reloading. I got a Lee press and am starting out with .357 Mag to get a feel for it. Don't quite know why, but I feel safer starting to reload for a revolver than an auto.

AntiqueDr
    (1/7/02 12:49:11 am)
    You got a dang good deal. Buy all you can get.

www.apaxenterprises.com

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/7/02 2:08:22 am)
    The fellow I got the Speer Lawman from was at a gunshow, with a decent sized table. He had about 75-100 boxes there for $9. I even asked if it was factory ammo or not. He said it was factory fresh. Is there any way I can tell if it is factory or not?