Got My Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RockinRiley, Feb 19, 2012.

1. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I now have everything, except a scale. I thought my press came with the lee, but it did not. I have a pro 1000 and the place I bought it from did not have one they recommended at the time I picked up my press. It looked like they were using and older 502. What do you guys recommend? I would like not to use a digital as it is in my garage and Michigans snow season has finally fallen on us. The varying temps and humidity I think would be very very frustrating with a digital as a primary source in my garage.

I had thought about just buying the lee safety with a frankford arsenal digital as backup (the cost for both would be the same as a rcbs), or just buying the rcbs 502. Wish I had some experience with them so I could make a decision and get running.

I had already purchased berry's 124 gn rn and they sold me nitro 100 and cci primers when I picked up my press. They had it all set for me and I went in and assembled 10 rounds. Before I left they had me fire my 10 rounds. They fired amazingly! I believe right now it is set up for 3.1 gns. Soft recoil and exceptional accuracy! I have the reloading bug now and need a scale :) (I have my press already mounted. I cleaned the bench off and placed 3/4" partical board for strength!)

Thanks in advance!

(then down the road a chrony :) I think I am now possessed!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats ! Depending on how much you're going to be loading, I'd go with the RCBS or find a Lyman D-7. The Lee safety scales are a bit slower to use and IMO, clunky. I use the RCBS 750 electronic and have a RCBS 10-10 for back-up.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Congratulations on joining the reloading community. I know you are going to enjoy it for a very long time. You will enjoy that PRO 1000 too, they have a few quirks but once you figure out the fix it will become second nature and things will run like a well oiled machine.( And they all have quirks, even the butt ugly blue ones).
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I don't have any suggestions for a scale for you since I use a digital and love it, no way would I go back to a beam scale. But I would like to congraulate you on your purchase and welcome you to the world of reloading, it is addicting and a great hobby, enjoy.
  5. X Ring

X Ring Member

6. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Which digital do you use? You do not even use a beam to check it every now and then?
  7. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Well, I just got a rcbs 502 locally. They did have one in the store! Nice and simple! Now I can start RELOADING! Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help obtained here!
  8. NEILT

NEILT New Member

congrats