Got my Savage Axis SR!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

I was planning on going to the range this morning, do a proper break-in, and sight her in... But of the few times a year... it's raining in Southern Cali.

So, here's a review without a range report.
    I really like how the rifle feels, the length of pull, the thin grip and cut away are very ergonomic and comfortable for me. The stock isn't as bad as people say it is. There is a very fine mold line that runs down the middle though. Sliding thick paper between the stock and free floated barrel shows how precise the stock is. The bolt is smooth, and has a pretty long draw, but requires a bit more pressure to lift than my dad's Rem 700. The Savage website, and the manual say the magazine holds 4 rounds in all calibers. I have the .223 model, and it easily fits 5 in there, and is just shy of fitting 6! :cool: While the clip on it is plastic, it is very rugged and securely attaches to the rifle.

Now for my issues.
    I bought Weaver base mounts and Weaver 1" medium rings, but the length of my Barska scope (4-12x40mm) is less than 1/4" too short to even fit the rings, no matter how I arrange the bases. Let alone, adjust the scope to my preference. The distance between the base mounts is pretty far apart, and this severely limit scope choices.

Another surprise, this being the SR model (threaded muzzle), I had plans on buying a compensator for it, but as you'll see in the picture, the end of the barrel has a flare to it, then has the cap screwed on. The picture on the Savage website does NOT reveal this, it shows just a little lip at the end which matches the caps outside dimension... I'm not happy about this because I'm not sure the compensator I want will run flush with the muzzle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ See how close it is for the scope to fit??? What a bummer...
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you need an offset ring.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...or you might try a 1 piece Picatinny-style scope Base mount that'll fit your
    Savage.
  4. Zane71464

Sould have added, I'm anxious to see your range report!!!
    (havent seen that many as of yet)
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really like the idea of an off set ring, so I'm gonna go with the one piece rail.

Another thing, do all flash hiders/muzzle brakes/ compensators have the same O.D. at the start? I could measure the O.D. of the Axis muzzle with a caliper, because I'm not sure if it is the same as an AR15 because how it flares out, but it is 1/2"-28tpi. I'm concerned about the brake I want fitting flush with the muzzle.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Explain "flares out". The muzzle is threaded 1/2X28, it will fit anything you can screw to the end of an AR15.
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

The barrel tapers down (get narrow) from the breech, but tapers outward the last couple inches. [​IMG]

I'm not sure if the brake will sit perfectly flush, or if there will be a step between the two.
  8. Zane71464

Here is a pic of the flash suppresor on the AR and with the same 1/2X28 thread,
    it should go right onto the Savage as Josh was saying.

Attached Files:

9. Zane71464

...sorry about the pic size, I didnt realise I'd taken/made it that small.
  10. Zane71464

Albtraum, I was wondering if you had gotten your scope and base mounts set up on
    your Axis?
    We went over with the anticipation of buying an Axis but as I walked into the gunshop I
    caught a glance of a Savage model 10 hanging up behind the counter...couldnt pass the
    older, but as NIB rifle, up.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Savage 10 is a better rig anyway Dale.. ;)

Need scope mounts? I got a wall full.. Being older its got the flat back reciever right?
  12. Zane71464

I agree 100% Josh, bran-freaki'n new, or never been fired? Looked as though
    someone slapped a banner scope on it for sell or to trade it in, but
    just NIB.
    I appreciate the offer Josh, but got the rifle home, went thru what I had and
    put a Bushnell 4-12x40 on it to see what she'd do and with the Hornady
    55gr.'s @ 100, it was holding about as good as my model 12, 3/8"-4 shot
    groups.

And yes, it has the flat back reciever and plan to put a 1 piece base mount on
    it and a better scope later on. I'd been calling the gunshop for the past 6
    months and telling them to give me a ring if they ever come across another
    Savage in .223 and not a word. I reckon he said they just got it in.
    (hard to pass those up!)

I think it'll be in the hands of my nephew once it's set up. He's been yipi'n
    about an Axis for several months now in the .223 caliber.
  13. ek12

ek12 New Member

Hi Albtraum,
    What is the distance betwen the center of the two middle screws? Could you measure it and let me know? I'm trying to figure out what ring/base combo works with my scope before I get my on-order Axis. You do know that Weaver makes an extended base (#402) that fits the Savage round reciever, like the #46 base? It's a $4 fix if you dont want go for a one piece base.
    Thanks,
    Eric