Got my Star Model B - mixed emotions

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/02 5:42:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Got my Star Model B - mixed emotions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got my Star Model B - here it is!!

It is pretty rough but works fine. Fired 60 rounds thru it this afternoon using 3 different JHP's and the old FMJ. Had two stovepipes and two failures to feed with Gold Dot JHP's but everything else went thru smooth as silk. If this one is representative of SOG's lot, then I would say don't buy one. I guess I should have spent the 10 bucks for a handpick ( yeah...sure). The magazine is what bugs me the most. It is so tight that it has to be pried out with a screwdriver. I can't see where it is binding to fix it.

S/N is 2677XX - there is a B right oner the s/n...is this the date code?
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

Edited by: velvetnsteel at: 3/18/02 8:47:02 pm

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/16/02 6:12:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Got my Star Model B - mixed emotions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your's looks a whole lot better than the handpicked one I received. Yours also looks like it was re-done/re-blued. The one they sent me has the original finish.

Here's a link to some pic'spub31.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm28.showMessage?topicID=15.topic

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Edited by: Flhunter at: 3/16/02 6:13:41 pm

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/02 6:43:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Got my Star Model B - mixed emotions
    Mine has a lot of pitting that does not show up in the photos. The bore is also pitted very badly, but still shoots decently. Bluing is about 90 percent and does look re-blued. Maybe it was an arsenal refurb at one time. Did they do that, Mr Bob?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/02 10:41:45 pm)
    Does the Star use Grip screw bushings like a 1911A1?

Try removing the grips, and bushings if it has them and try the mag release again...

If still sticking, try removing the mag release, then see if it slides in and out...

If it's still sticking then, it's probably the magazine I'd guess, may be a little out of shape.

When I've had mags stick on a 1911, many times it was because the bushings turned when the screws got tight putting the grips back on, sticking inside the frame just enough to rub, hard to see or feel...

I THINK the Star is a copy of the Browning design mainly, so just MAYBE that's it...
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/02 11:07:06 pm)
    Several of the ones I got were arsenal reblued - and some of the strawed parts (extractor, trigger) replaced with new shiney copper/bronzish colored ones. The rest appeared to be original. I had ordered five of them, all hand picked. One or two of them had a minor pit here or there that was blued over, a couple of them had some minor wear on the slide, muzzle end (typical holster wear). All of them had positive magazine release - fairly leap from the gun when you release it!

Overall, I was happy with that purchase.

I also just got in 5 Star Supers from SARCO at $139.50 each - got the new Shotgun News today and they have lowered the price to $124.50 each, or three for $350!!!! Kinda pissed me off - story of my life - I always buy something right before it goes on sale! These are listed as "gunsmith specials" and may need some minor work, but they are overall very good to excellent condition. SARCO has also lowered their Astra 400 price to $149.50, rated "Good" ---- HHHHHmmmm ---
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/17/02 12:19:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Bob, If it hasn't been 30 days yet give Sarco a call and they might refund the difference. If nothing else it's worth a try.

Dang it! Don't tell me that...Astra 400 for $149.50. I just spent 8 bills+ last week on different firearms and now this. Plus on Parallax's site there is a pic of a beautiful Ballister Molina someone just received from SOG. I'm going crazy plus broke at the same time. How in the world do the 01 ffl's do it?

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 7:44:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I'll let you know when I find out. I've spent about $30K in the last two months.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/02 9:43:53 am)

Quote:
    I'm going crazy plus broke at the same time. How in the world do the 01 ffl's do it?

They try to sell some of them for a profit, that's the business they're in.

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 2:11:40 pm)
    As far as the magazinr problem goes, I tried it with the grip panels completely off. I may try squeezing the top together a bit as the magazine only has to move a bit then it is loose. Thanks for the tips guys. Bob, are the Star Supers C & R eligible? Thanks.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:43:12 pm)
    Yes - I got the Star Supers from SARCO on a C&R license.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/17/02 9:14:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It's worse when your an FFL but also are equally in
    love with C&R's too!

Ooooohhhhhh Brother!
    TFF VMBB Contact Admin