Got My Turkey this Morning

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Terry_P, May 3, 2009.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Went out before 1st light and set up with a single hen decoy. There was nothing close but I sat tight and at 7:00am 4 jakes came in to my very infrequent calling and headed toward the decoy. At about 15 yards I shot the one that was fanning. He weighed 18.5 pounds and is going in the freezer until the 4th of July weekend when I cook him in the smoker for our family gathering. Today was the first day of Turkey hunting in NH so my season ended early.
  2. Congrats on the successful hunt, Terry! Outsmarting old Mr. Turkey is no easy task. ;)
  3. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Grats, Terry. Now you can go fishing! :)

I went out for a while today. I did not score. :(
  4. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Ditto on the now you can go fishing. I went on Friday picked up two small Pike and one 12 inch largemouth. No it wasn't pistol ot Al.:eek: It was a real Bass even if it was a small one. Oh the pike were about 20 and 22/23 inches. Leaving in the morning at 0500 to try again.:):D catfish
  5. Cannibalism!!!! :D;):p

Now y'all watch out for those little ol' Cougar cats, and mean ol' Grizzley's, hear? It's springtime and they're likely hungry for a nice winter-fattened snack like you, catfish. :D;):p
  6. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Well, Don't pay the ransom. I have escaped and even managed to bring in supper:). Picked up eight Bass and two Pike. Invited three Bass home for dinner and released the other five. Would have only brought two home but the son is coming over for dinner tomorrow so one extra came home. Normally I release all the Bass I catch but about twice a year we have a bass fry with all the trimmings.I love the taste of fresh fish and prefer Bluegill or Crappie. Catfish works to dang good so I don't release many of them unless they are small (under three pounds) and the wife make corn bread French fries,fresh Asparagus and sometimes corn on the cob and often home made rolls :D. Yea I know you city folks don't have to go to all this effort (can't call it work) just for a fish fry. Guess you all are just plain lucky and this old country boy will just have to make do ;):p. Somehow I think I will manage.:D Will post pictures tomorrow. catfish
  7. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

Congrats!! That's awesome! :D
  8. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Well here are a couple of pictures like I promised. The Bass are on the tailgate of my Toyota Tacoma. The tailgate is approximately 16 inches wide so that gives you an idea of the size of the Bass. They are all about 14 to 15 inches. The cow Elk just decided to drop in to say "Hi". The Turkeys are locals and one of the reasons why the Coyote was hanging around, much to her demise I might add. Fish were sure tasty :D,dang that Oklahoma Lady that I married 40 years ago can cook. Matter of fact it was forty years ago on the 5th of April. Well I need to go load some 22-250 rounds as I am going hunting tomorrow if it isn't storming.Weather guesser says it might be so we will work with what we get. One of the neighbors about three miles down the road thinks he has a problem with Coyotes after his Sheep. I think its more than likely dogs,but in either case I can take care of it.:( Hope you enjoy the pictures. catfish

Attached Files:

9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Cool pics!! Congrats on your turkey.
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Congrats on your success. I spent the first two days this week in the rain trying to do the same. I did get one to come in and jump up on a downed tree ca 30 yds away. It stayed there about half an hour until something off to the left spooked it. It was in heavy shade the whole time and I couldn't see its color or if it had a beard and it never did any displaying. We are in our third week of season and many of the hens are nesting now so the toms have settled a bit. Season is open until the 16th so I will try again when the weather clears.

I did see a hen earlier behind my cabin and there was plenty of sign so I may score yet.