Got my Yugo Mauser Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

bondai
    (7/29/01 11:39:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Got my Yugo Mauser Yesterday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I won't bore you with a photo, I know you guys have seen hundreds of these things. It looks great. I am wondering ? What is the best way to get the grease off. The grease is not real heavy but it is nasty. I don't want to damage the stock. You can tell the wood fiber is raised on the stock and will probably need a going over with some steel wool.

I have heard of using a lot of different things to remove the grease, whats your opinion?? Thanks

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 12:05:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Got my Yugo Mauser Yesterday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll get bashed for this one but aerosol brake parts cleaner removes grease etc. FAST don't know what it would do to wood but it can't be beat for cleaning the bolts after basic disassembly

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/29/01 12:30:12 pm)
    The best is any fuel, gasoline is dangerous but works absolutely best, diesel or Kerosene is safer, works almost as well.

But overall, denatured alcohol is probably easiest to work with, with little or no smell.

You can usually clean up a lightly cosmoed gun with just a rag damp with it.

My "greaseballs" I take outside, strip, and use coffee cans, paint roller pans, etc, to soak all the little parts, while I use an old paintbrush to brush the solvent in and the grease off. Then a soaked rag.

In the "old days" gasoline was used extensively, but besides the fire/explosion risk, long term exposure and/or skin contact can be really bad for you, so I only use it on my REALLY greased up ones, that are also hardened and stiff.

Next time though I think I'm going to use Diesel Fuel...
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

kdubaz
    (7/29/01 12:41:47 pm)
    Birchwood Caseys "Gunscrubber" works well.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

tccox
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 1:31:03 pm)
    I just cleaned two Turk Mausers yesterday and I used diesel in a gallon can. One can for first cleaning and another for final wash down. It really can't ge beat for price and ease. The fine nozzel on the brake or carb cleaner works great on the hard to scrub places but I broke mine down pretty well, even took the real sight off and got the gunk out of ther. I think that is the only way to get all the gunk from under there. The bolt had a lot of cosmo in it and needs a good cleaning. It was not a bad job, just messy, expecially on the one with the black cosmo on it. Tom
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/29/01 3:55:24 pm)
    I keep a 5-gallon can of diesel fuel in the garage just for gun cleaning. Poor some in two coffee cans - bolt and disassembled smaller parts go in one can to soak, the other can is used in conjunction with rags, tooth brushes, bottle brushes, etc. to clean the rest of the gun. After cleaning with diesel fuel, wipe dry, and treat your wood parts soon afterwards - either oil them, or start the boiled linseed oil treatment. If you don't treat the wood right away, the diesel fuel (or any solvent you use to clean the gun) will dry out the wood and give it a propensity to fracture, splinter, etc.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

kdubaz
    (7/29/01 9:57:47 pm)
    Don't forget to clean your wife's toothbrush before you put it back!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 10:31:10 pm)
    Was at a small community gun show today, gent had a Turk Mauser laying on his table, $295.00...stock was still coal black from the cosmoline.

Was going to ask him if he ever heard of J&G Sales of Prescott Arizona. Where they sell these at $39.95 each. But decided against that.

GG

WyomingSwede
    (7/29/01 10:46:22 pm)
    If you just have one to clean...a can of WD-40 works well, kinda melts the cosmoline away.. Congrats on the Yugo...fine weapon. I have not found one that doesn't shoot well.

regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

bondai
    (8/3/01 12:40:47 am)
    Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it...

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 7:34:04 pm)
    Bondai, Buddy,

I used to hang out over on the ezboardC&R forum, until I bumped into these guys over here. Anyway, under the C&R refinishing section, everyone used to rave about "Castrol Degreaser" from the auto parts store. It comes in a purple spray bottle and is supposed to degrease like the blue blazes, without raising the grain! I bought a bottle for myself but haven't bought a gun yet that was greasey enough to use it on. Anyway, just passing it on, buddy.
    MO JENKINS