Got new stuff!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by upsguy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Last night I went to Cabelas and did a little shopping. I bought my Lee Classic Turret Press, the Deluxe Die set in .45ACP, .45Colt and .38Spl. Got a tumbler, media seperator, micrometer, Powder scale,2 quick change turrets, tumbler media, 1000 large pistol primers, 1000 small pistol primers, 1lb of HP-38, 100 .45 Hornady bullets FMJ, 100 .45 Winchester bullets FMJ.

I think, for the press, Im gonna get the Safety Prime, the P.A.D. for dumping powder along with the dbl disk kit.

Well, I think that should get me started after I do my reading and get my bench (old computer desk) modified. I'm not in a hurry to start reloading, anxious, but really want to have some confidence and knowledge before I start. I might be many weeks before I attempt this. Is there anything else I MUST have that I might have forgotten about?
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

You will want a set of calipers. I prefer dial calipers just so I don't have to mess with batteries. What scale did you buy?
  3. upsguy

upsguy New Member

4. noylj

noylj Member

Looks like a more than adequate balance.
    Be sure to keep it covered with the built-in wind screen.
  5. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Congrats. Nice starting package.
    I have really enjoyed the Turret for loading pistol rounds.
    Enjoy!
  6. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

That was my first setup when I started-congrats. Looks like the only item missing is a bullet puller for the mistakes! I also didn't see a reloading manual listed. Be sure to get one or even better two or three. I recommend Lyman 49th.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I have the ABC's of reloading, Speer reloading manual, Hornady reloading manual too. I do need to get a bullet puller, I think I'm going back to Cabelas to return that digital scale I bought.

Can anyone recommend a good scale, not the $300 ones...?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. upsguy

upsguy New Member

9. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Unless you are loading miniture artillery shells, I dont see any real use of having a scale that can weigh that high. I doubt you will ever load for anything that requires that much weight, save for maybe some 500 + grain bullets. I own the LEE scale, and only have used it a few times. They are useful to have when checking loads, bullet weights, etc. Out of curiosity I checked to see what a max charge for the 50 BMG was, and its at 239 grains of powder for a 750 grain bullet. If you ahve a 50 and plan on loading for it, then that scale might be a good idea, but if not, and you're loading for normal stuff, 30-06, 45 ACP, 9 MM, then one that weighs to around 500 grain would be sufficient.
  10. upsguy

upsguy New Member

That makes sense John. I just want a quality scale and alot of reviews on the "cheaper" digital scales have some good, more bad reviews. I figured a manual one could be better and the RCBS 1010 has alot of positive reviews. Im really not sure what to do on this one...:confused:
  11. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

If money is not a problem, a lot of people here stand behind their RCBS scales.

If you want to stick with RCBS, then the one in the link should provide you with years of reliability.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=605320

What I like to do, once I have an item picked out that I want to purchase, I try to find the cheapest place out there. And during the search, you may find other brands, it only gets harder sometimes trying to make a choice......

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/588
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449069

Another website to check out is Natchez Shooters, although I find their web site to be horrible in narrowing down a search.
    http://www.natchezss.com/

Good luck, but I know you wont be disappointed with the RCBS.
  12. upsguy

upsguy New Member

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use the RCBS RangeMaster 750 electronic scale and really like a lot.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...yId=19934&categoryString=9315***731***9211***

On this page you will find several good scales. I chose to go the cheapest route, and bought the Lee. I've had it now for over 20 years, and it's still going strong. Most folks don't really want to go cheap, but at the time I bought mine money was an issue, and I had owned one many years ago, so I stuck with it. Any of the scales listed will work well, you don't have to spend a fortune. I would also like to suggets that you purchase a 3 hole turret for each caliber you are loading. One for .38, one for .45ACP, and one for .45Colt. If you decide to load .357, then buy another set of dies, and another turret for that caliber. It keeps you from having to adjust each time you change calibers. One other thing you didn't mention, but will need, is a powder funnel. Happy Reloading! Don't be afraid of this, just read the book, make sure of your load data, and go for it! Be sure to start with the minimum load, and work up form there.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are the delux dies carbide? I am too lazy to go find the catalog.:)