Got Out To the Range Today

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, May 14, 2011.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Pachmayr Signature Grips, GI-spec short guide rod w/ Ed Brown plug, Wilson Combat match-grade barrel & bushing

[​IMG]
    American Eagle 230gr FMJ

[​IMG]
    American Eagle 230gr FMJ

[​IMG]
    Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Nice shootin' Hogger! She's a beauty, no doubt.

I'm thinking your gun likes the American Eagle ammo better. What was your preference?
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I liked the American Eagle ammo. I think the barrel must be really tight because it had a couple times when it wasn't all the way into battery.

But it seemed like it cycled the Remington Golden Sabers well. Those definitely shot more accurately than the Remington UMC JHP I usually use.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

And I got signed up for the Utah CC class today. Going to take the class next Sunday from 9-5.
  5. garydude

garydude Member

You takin your 1911?
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

yeah that's the only gun I have...
  7. garydude

garydude Member

That's an outstanding way to start a collection. My 1911 was the only gun I've ever bought, having been given my others as b-day gifts, Christmas gifts, etc. I was raised by backwoods Kentucky Hillbillies, and guns were just sensible gifts (thank God!)
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well I live at my parents' place so I am only allowed to have one gun. So I chose the best - a 1911. I had a Rock Island A1 before this. Decided to get this mostly because of all the features it offered. Probably would have gotten the TRP if I had another $200. It was this for about $1,000 or the TRP for $1,200.

Hey just to touch on the CCW class, will they dock you for a jam? Like will they disqualify you from getting a permit if your pistol jams? Who knows... maybe my barrel just needs a little breaking in. I only have 100 rounds through it.
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hogger, dont over think the CHL process. All you have to do is hit center mass at 3 yds, 7 yds and 15 yds. A total fo 50 rounds.. 20 at 3 yds, 20 at 7 yds and 10 at 15 yds. When I took mine back in '08 There was a guy there that brought an AMT backup to qualify with. A 6 shot mini .45, that he could barely hold onto and it jammed like every 3rd or 4th round. HE passed. pretty good score to boot...

just practice those distances at your range and practice clearing jams, misfires and reloading with efficiency. Its not a race when you qualify

Get you some snapcaps to cause 'misfires' and use spent rounds in the mag to cause jams while you practice.

Practice makes perfect. :)
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great advice from JLA as usual. Hogger there were no demerits here in Ohio for a gun malfunction as stuff happens. We were monitored as to how we handled a malfunction. Another of the "old guys" took the CCW class with me and he was having extractor problems with a S&W 5906. No demerits and he just cleared the problem and proceeded. I took the class with a S&W 649 snubby and no speed loader and when it came to a reload in the evolution they just waited on me to did the cartridges out of my pocket. Not real fast but it was real to life and again no demerits. We spent one whole day on gun safety, the law and how it applies to the use of a fire arm in self defense. Just as JLA the actual shooting was very basic and the results you have shown with that beautiful 1911 indicates you will have no problems. I would bet there will be people there no where close to your ability with a fire arm so just kick back and relax and enjoy.

There was one husband and wife duo that shared an H&R single action .22 LR ( can you believe that ). They didn't make it and were asked to stay after class for some one on one personal training. But they were no way prepared to take such a class.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think it just could be that my barrel fit is really tight. I might throw in my factory barrel for the qual just so that I know the gun will function flawlessly.

Because the factory barrel is acceptably accurate, I think a lot of the inaccuracy with it was me. But the WC match barrel I have in right now shoots a lot better. Who knows. Maybe I just need to shoot it more to break it in.

Would you guys suggest putting my factory barrel in just to make sure it functions better?
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  12. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

All it needs is proper breakin. Shoot a couple hundred more rounds and it will be fine.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    hogger129 don't worry about it. The classes are set up so that everyone passes. We had one person in my class that had a cheap gun, it jammed, till it broke, and the instructor loaned them his personal side arm to complete the class. All you have to worry about is listening to your instructor on safety issues. That is the one thing that will get thrown out of the class with a no pass score. They wouldn't let me shoot my reloads at the range where I took my CCW class, and I had to buy some cheap junk off the shelf at their store. It was so dirty that it started causing jams in my gun. I had to clean the gun on the range to keep it running, they waited for me to get it up and running again, and I still passed. One woman only had enought hits on target to get her through the class. She couldn't shoot well enough to hit a man sized target at 7' - 15' more that 70% of the time.

And BTW, that's not bad shooting! Looks like all hits would have been center mass, and with the .45, that's all you need. You will find that you will become more proficient with your gun as you shoot it, and it will start to losen up as you do. Keep practicing, get that CCW, and then look at taking a few courses on your own. You can never get enough training!
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Screw it. Keeping the factory stainless barrel in the gun. Something isn't right on the Wilson barrel. Almost like one of the lugs wasn't done right. Won't go all the way into battery and I'm having to slap the back of the slide to get it to go full into battery. It's the barrel because it doesn't function that way with the factory Springfield barrel. If anybody's interested in buying the barrel, I'll sell it to ya at a discount.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The link is binding at lockup. You just need to take a little out of the link where the slidestop goes thru it. A chainsaw file is great for this job.

When I fit the Ed Brown in my taurus it did the same thing. they leave em a little oversize so the individual gun can be final fit to tightest posslible tolerance. I just opened the hole in the link up a tiny bit at a time til the slide just barely sit on it and the slightest bump from my thumb on the rear of the slide would send it into full lockup. I use an 18# wolff spring and a WC shok buff on a WC full length guide. So the barrel has absolutely no problem locking up unless my handloads are outta spec...