1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Got scope, What"s next

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Islandboy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

O.k. so I mountd the rail and then an inexpensive Redhead Scope on my 10/22, and I have a question on focusing it.
    It doesn't have a focus ring, and is a bit obscure about focusing the reticle. Would the two be different? Bad eyesight until eye surgery, just waiting for lenses with B.S. filters.
  2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

The eyepiece should have a locking ring abutting it's forward edge.

Un-snug, or loosen, it several truns toward the adjustment turrets - that will allow the eyepiece to be turned either clock or counter clock-wise for focusing.

I focus my scopes by pointing it upward at a light or white/cloud sky w/o looking through the scope at first.

A quick look through the scope will then tell the looker if the reticle is in focus - dark and sharp.
    Any longer than a quick glance will allow the eye to focus to whatever the scope's focus is, and will look OK - NOT !

If, after the quick glance, the reticle isn't dark/sharp - then turn the eyepiece a few turne either in/out. and re-glance to check for improved focus.
    Repeat as req'd, until the scope is focused, and lock the eyepiece back down.

3. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member

Well maybe this [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

First time posting here, but I had the exact same problem with my Redhead .22 scope being out of focus and went so far as to replace it with a Simmons A/O .22 scope before realizing that there IS an adjustment on the Redhead one that fixes the problem.

Look at the eyepiece bell on the rear of the scope and you'll see there is a locking nut screwed tight against the bell holding it in place. Back this thredded ring off several turns and then you can rotate the eyepiece to focus it. That worked for me and now I'm kinda' sorry that I replaced it, because it's actually a very good scope now that it's focused.

Hope this is helpful and that it works for you. :)
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. PetahW

PetahW New Member

Is there an echo in here ? ;) :D
  6. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Appreciate both replies, will check it out for sighting/plinking this W.E.