Got some Christmas baking done

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Dec 18, 2011.

1. 45nut

45nut New Member

This afternoon, after church and lunch I baked my 3rd fruitcake of the season, a mincemeat pie and 42 large oatmeal-raisin-walnut-cranberry cookies. It smells like Santy Claus is coming to town. :D :D ;)

My wife made fudge and caramels. It's a shame people don't take time to make home made goodies anymore. Christmas is not only about getting stuff (you need or want), but giving to friends, loved ones & family. And to folks in need of a hand up too. When you give friends some home cooked goodness, they know that you are a real friend. You put something of yourself into a simple bag of cookies. You put your love for others and hopefully, some of God's love for us as well.

Anybody else doing some Christmas cooking?

Merry Christmas TFF!!
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

later today ( 2:37 pm Monday here ) got some pastry sitting, and peeled a heap of apples this morning, gonna be some apple pies later ;)
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Hors d'oeuvres

If you want some finger food and are willing to put some work in on it here is a snack from the 70's.

Devils on Horseback

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    Stuff a whole fresh date with a chocolate covered almond.
    Wrap it with a small piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
    Dip it in soy sauce, roll it in brown sugar.
    Place them on a buttered cookie sheet 1" apart.
    Bake 15-20 minutes until bacon is crisp.
    Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Member

Got a pumpkin pie in the oven, not sure if that counts as christmas cooking.
  5. H0tr0dder

H0tr0dder New Member

I think there is more Christmas baking going on than you think. I know tons of people still following the tradition :)

My wife has made cookies and fudge for both sides of our families, both of our offices, our apartment managers, and we STILL have tons left haha. My wife is one heck of a cook and baker :)

If anyone buys either my 870 or 1100 or both from the buy sell section, I'll thow in a box of cookies ;) haha
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

School ends up for wifey on Wednesday, kids fly home from school tomorrow, so I figure she'll be cooking & baking up a storm pretty quick. She makes xmas cookies, and all this Hunkie Christmas foods & pastries. Nut rolls, turnovers, sitek, pies, cakes and such. Good eats for the holidays.
  7. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

The only fruitcake I like is from my grandmother, she starts in early november and wraps the fruitcake in chesse cloth then soaks it in apricot brandy. I tried a new sweet n spicey coating for nuts and it was pretty good.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

hors is French for outside

d'oeuvres, pronounced derve is 'the main work' or as used in this context the main part of the meal.

Finger food not considered as part of the meal but outside the meal. There you learned something.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have enough problems cooking without baking, cookies are smellin gooooooooood
  10. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I just finished up a batch of fudge made with milk chocolate and Andes mint chips, made for my step-daughter at her request as a Christmas gift. I don't buy "made in China" junk for anyone, I make things or buy things that are made locally for those who receive gifts from me. For my kids, I made little 'treasure chests' out of wood, stained and varnished, then filled them with the "gold" dollars. The wife got a Heritage .22 revolver, made in the USA, along with her favorite cookies and gift certificate for the local beauty shop for when she wants to get her hair done again. My shooting buddy and his wife got a big container of fudge and another of deer jerky, I bet they all like their presents a lot better than some cheap plastic junk from overseas...
  11. geds

geds New Member

And there I was thinking it was a part of a horse's anatomy...!;)
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Well if you want to get technical you would say somebody is a cheval âne, literal translation hoses ass.

However if you have a mixed drink on Christmas you would be drinking a cocktail. A term presumably from New Orleans meaning a horse of mixed blood instead of a thorough bred.

A Hot buttered Rum would be a cocktail because it is a mixed drink and if you drink enough of them you could very well become a cheval âne.

If you want to try it just do the following for a very good Hot Buttered Rum.

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
    2 cups light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    Pinch ground cloves
    Pinch salt
    Bottle dark rum
    Boiling water

In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

May I suggest you use one of these rums to make it a great drink. Never, never, never use a light rum or a cheap rum.

Angostura 1824 12 year - Trinidad
    Mount Gay Extra Old - Barbados
    Flor de Cana 21 year - Nicaragua
    Pyrat XO Reserve Planters Gold - Anguilla
    Pampero Rum Aniversario - Venezuela
    Zacapa 23 year - Guatemala

It isn't exactly baking but a good Christmas baker needs a reward.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  13. geds

geds New Member

Ah, a nice toddy recipe! Thanks!