Got some money. I want a revolver.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gun runner, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

$1300. I now am deciding to purchase a home defense revolver. Im thinking of going with a Ruger .44 mag

What do you think? Any other suggestions? I could imagine it would have plenty of power. I had a smith and wesson model 5906 semi auto 9mm but I sold it 3 years ago. Im not going to get my CHL though.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    .44 caliber is a good choice. Shoot .44 specials for home defence, and the magnum rounds for hunting. Have you looked at the S&W M&P R8? 8 rounds of .357 magnum, or 8 rounds of .38 special. I like Rugers better than Smiths, but then Ruger, as far as I know, don't make an 8 shot revolver!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I would stay with either S&W or Ruger for a revolver. 44mag isn't a bad choice, I would prefer a .357 or .41 for most things though. But that's just me.

personally, I think Ruger makes the strongest revolvers and the ones I have came with phenominal triggers and are deadly accurate.

A GP100 with a 4 or 6" barrel is my favorite I think.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

heres a question to consiter..just who will be shooting this revolver? if you and only you then 44 mag is a good choice! BUT if the MISSUS may be called upon to use it for defense then maybe you need to rethink that one. It would be usless as a SD weapon if she either cant or is too intimaded to use it because its just too powerful for her! always chose the main SD weapon most suited to the least of the expected users!
  5. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

A .44 mag. shooting .44 special ammo is easily handled by most; my youngest daughter can shoot them with anybody.
  7. lead

lead Active Member

For your price range, you should be able to find lots of choices. If there's a range near you that rents guns, try a few out, see what you like.
    If I had that money, I'd be looking at good used models and could get 2, maybe even 3 pistols. But I tend to be a cheapskate.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

9. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

10. carver

carver Moderator

Why not the 5.5", or the 4.2" lengts? I really like the 5.5" barrel. It's short enough for almost any aplication, and though the shorter sight radius limits distant shots, it will get the job done!
  11. savage170

savage170 Member

I like the 45 ACP Revolvers for Home defense ammo is alot cheaper then 44 special with more factory loadings.
    [​IMG]

The 1917 is the one that got me hooked on 45 acp and the 325 is my carry gun
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, I would vote for the 5.5" also, I've never wanted the extremely long barrels. Even the 4" would be plenty adequate.

I just meant that flavor of gun, not necessarily that barrel.

My GP100 only has a 4" barrel but it's plenty for sure and balances nice. running rounds thru the chrony, even my little sp101 with a 3 1/8" barrel develops the same velocity as it's big brother.
  13. 01brian

01brian New Member

I'm looking at picking up a Ruger 44 next month too. I just can't decide between the Redhawk and Blackhawk :)
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will take $475.00 for this super blackhawk 44mag 7.5 barrel shipped to your FFL. It has new Hogue grips and has only had a couple boxes of shells thru it. Its like new and comes with original grips and original box and paperwork.

Attached Files:

15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks folks. Hey Double D, I bought a cheap .22 mag revolver for $230 total but Im still looking for a .44 mag

I wish I could get a picture of it on here but I would have to drive out to my sister's house and she isnt there now so I cant use their computer. Just picture a cheap Heritage .22mag/22lr :D . Im on this crazy laptop.

Now Im going to start buying more revolvers. Atleast the .22 is made in Florida I believe and it shoots great. No fails or anything. Im still thinking about using the rest of the money for a .44 mag.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  16. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Gunrunner, if I did not own a 44mag and was considering getting one for home defense I would be going for the one that Dan is posting. That revolver will point good, and I would recommend 44spl for home defense. That is a clean revolver with the grips you want. Man that's a clean gun.
  17. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dan, later down the road I want to buy that same revolver with the 4 5/8" barrel. Those are awesome guns.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

IMHO, the Blackhawk is the way to go. Not because it's cheaper, but because there is no way to get off that second shot any faster than with the single action, and still hit what you want to shoot. On the other hand, if it's to be a HD gun, then load it up with the .44 special, and the Redhawk wins in this application.
  19. 01brian

01brian New Member

Carver, Thank you for the input! It will be a backup for hunting/hiking in the rockies. I'm really leaning towards the blackhawk...but after handling a redhawk at the store I was conflicted. The redhawk was really nice too. I have a month to decide :)
  20. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

So these 44 mags can shoot 44 specials?