Got two nice deer in Indiana today, guess which one the wife got.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by fleetwood1976, Nov 16, 2011.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

got a nice one shot one kill on the 120 lb doe on the left and before i even get her field dressed the wife drops that big bad 8 (3 by 5 if you count the drop tine) pointer about 1,000 yards away from me. he was pushin 200 lb and had awesome mass on the antlers. only scores a 127 on boone and crockett but I think she is gonna mount him anyway. has real nice coloring and a beefy neck.

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice way to start off the season ! Freezer will be lookin good for the winter months.
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Great lookin Deer! Absolutely. Nice work you guys!
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Good deal on the fresh meat. Always enjoy the picts as it's been 20 years since I shot any deer. Ain't any whitetails in Alaska ,,, just yet, but they are on the way, 120 miles away in Canada.

You're lucky the wifey goes hunting with ya. Mine did too many years back, but now I'm just happy she doesn't complain about new guns and does most the cuttin & wrappin. We got 3 moose & a bunch of caribou this year between all our tags. By the second moose, the wife said don't bring no more home, don't expect me to do all the work, and don't use my tag, we don't need no more moose. Her tag was filled a day later and so were the freezers and I gave 2 back and 3 front quarters away to my Indian neighbors. The wifey always gets over it. 27 years married to my butt, she's use to hunting season.

Congrats on the deer.
  6. fleetwood1976

man three moose and a bunch of carabou, that would be a ton of meet.

we are, at least I will be hunting more. she is going to be a fair weather hunter now that she got this one. I would like to get one more doe for the freezer and grandpa wants a doe for his freezer and if my buddy don't get one he'll be needing some meat. so I could stand to get a couple more.

I won't pass a trophy up, but I am more about the meat so I am happy with a doe anyday. It is always a relief to at least get the meat in the freezer, everything else is a bonus.
  7. fleetwood1976

getting my six year old girl ready for school and ask her "Do you like the deer I shot." she replies with a sigh, "Yeah... Is that a baby one . . . or something?
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats ok theres more deer out there .. kids sorta do that too ya , you'll get used to it
  9. fleetwood1976

I thought it was funny. she doesn't understand that does don't have antlers. She thinks it has to have antlers to be an adult.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Fleetwood, We actually need 2 moose if we don't buy any beef. Mostly roasts, steak, ribs, and grd meat, but we always make moose head soup, meat on the skull and meat around the nose and lower jaw is the richest. WE usually use the caribou for jerky. We wrap hind quarters and freeze, then debone, grind, super shoot, dehydrate later throughout the year. I have a few relatives always over Afghan & Iraq, send them care packages which they luv. We always get 5-6 caribou. Lucky if we get a moose or two, sometimes not, but then somebody gives us some and we do the same when we are lucky enough for a moose to present himself for our sustenence. People here along the Yukon still really live subsistence as it costs a couple bucks a lb to fly supplies into to where we call home.

We've been in Ak 20 years, back in 80's when we lived in Pennsylvania, I'd buy guernsey milk cows from local farmer for 300 bucks, more meat in milk cow than in a moose. We canned it all, always tender then. When we first came to Ak, we lived in MatSu, always got two moose, usually right behind the house too. Then one year only got one and tried buying a milk cow. Farmer wanted 1200, not 300, kinda killed that idear, maybe just Ak high prices.

After getting 3 this season,( we have several kids and they have tags) I mentioned to the wifey if we ever do good like that again, have to can some meat. Trouble is when ya get a moose, you spend the day getting it out, and then nx day cutting & wrapping. It's often still quite warm up here in august, like taking care of meat quick. One of the locals bought a walk in freezer used at an auction, now that would be the ticket if one could afford elec.

We gave away 1 1/2 moose to neighbors & Indians so I don't feel greedy in the least. Got to drop them when ya see a bull, wolves may get him first if ya don't. Actually, I'll probably go several years now without getting a moose the way my luck goes, ha. Try canning some meat, good stuff.
  11. fleetwood1976

it is amazing how much meat you need when you stock it up all at once.
  12. WildBill69

WildBill69 New Member

Nice deer. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Bill
  13. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

very nice deer. Good job