Got your taxes done yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mogunner, Feb 8, 2012.

1. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Just finished mine up, used the Turbo Tax free deal again this year. Was the first year that the new wife and I filed joint, worked out well for us, as did keeping all our pharmacy receipts and mileage for her Dr. visits. Looks like I will probably get to sweet-talk the wife out of enough to get that Ruger P95 that I've been hinting about and maybe a couple of other goodies! :D
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Min are done returned to me and spent already. I didn't even get a gun out of them either.
  3. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

yep, got mine done and sent in. when i get my return, im takin the cash and buying a gun safe.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I pulled myself out of a bunch of debt. So I now have some free money each month.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im right there with tango. Beck and I had our filed and accepted on jan 25th. got the return feb 5th, paid all our debts off and still have a little in the bank. Trying to sit on it as long as possible while im between jobs.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ours are back. Every bit is going towards being out of debt. We do the Dave Ramsey program.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

The average guy can't beat that turbo tax.
  8. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Back, spent mostly, some still saved. :)
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I did mine in last night. I waited to see if I was going to get a W2 (or whatever you call it) from where I cashed in my TSP (401K) right at the end of the year. I am getting a little back from Fed and State which I sent straight to the savings account - BUT if I would have had to figure in the 401K thing, I will have to pay over 6K. I'm hoping they wait until the end of this year to send the stuff to the IRS.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I believe thats a 1099R form George. And theyll rake your butt over cashing out a 401K. It suz because they tax you on it when you cash it out and make you report it as income when you file your taxes.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't have to pay a penalty because I am 60 but the taxes will get me for sure. They took over $11,000 out in fed taxes but still will have to pay $2700 to fed and something like $3600 to Georgia.

But, I am now pretty much debt free, at least my house is now mine.
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Having ours done next Monday and am cringing at what we could owe this year!!!!
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Haven't done it yet. Probably won't until sometime in mid-March. Just how my life goes.

I won't get much of a return... maybe a few hundred dollars. I'm self-employed, so I pay in quarterly. I get to make rough calculations before making the last payment, and I take advantage of that.
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I tend to put off my taxes (file extensions even).

I've had the same guy do my taxes for over 15 years. CPA, bla, bla, bla. He has to stay up on all the new tax laws to keep his certification, so he knows all the ins and outs to maximize my return.

His sig on my return guarantees no audit or hassles. It's the best 200 bucks I spend every year. :)
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

If he knows his stuff he can greatly reduce your chance at a flagged audit although there always is a slight chance that anyone can get a pain in the butt random audit!

If you have a very long or detailed return $200 might not be too bad at all.

Although I'm basically semi-retired now I've done taxes for over 30 years, set up and sold one tax service. I just did one for a friend that was over 40 pages (so much IRS filler and worksheet crap).

A tip for all of you every tax year, get a FREE Pub. 17 from the IRS, this 2011 tax year is 300 pages and will answer almost all questions for individuals' tax returns. Just call 1-800-TAX FORM or order online at irs.gov

I've got one every year since 1978 to do my and other people's taxes, it's MUCH easier than try to look every single thing online or getting a stack of individual Pubs. ;)

.....and I'm just finishing getting all of my stuff together, should be done soon.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012