1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Gov. Schwarzenegger hits a grand slam!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pat Hurley, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

2. Alas, Pat, that will never happen. It might offend the tender sensibilities of all those illegal aliens.
  3. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I fear that you are absolutely correct, Pistol. Republicans are too interested in being loved and admired by the dinosaur media, winning popularity contests at Capital Hill cocktail parties, and garnering favorable blogs from leftists, than standing up strongly for priniciple and truth.

Washington is full of p******. And sadly, the Republican party is overrun with them.

Ronald Reagan... where are you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Not a PC comment,but 'real world accurate', to be sure!
    Berlitz, and the U.S. Dept of Defense, at the Defense Language Institute, at Lackland AFB, Tx, the Presideo, In Monterrey, Ca, and other locations, take the same approach, for big bucks, in teaching a new language to students.
    Berlitz claims they can achieve 'functional fluency', in two weeks, but you check your english at the door, because the whole day, every day, is in the language that you are learning; the DLI takes a bit longer, to do the deed, but is more comprehensive, owing to their ultimate misson.
    If, tomorrow, I moved to France, Italy, or Germany, I would think it my responsibility to learn their language, rather than expecting the whole country to learn mine.
    "Habla Espanol?" is a frequently heard question, where I work, and my response is a given: "No, I do not live in Mexico, or Spain; Habla Inglese?".
    I realise this is a shitty attitude, but, after you swim the river, or wade it, and break the law, in entering my country, do me the service of learning my language, or you will be forever an 'export product'.
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Cool, a movie star/politician with some good ideas, not just another bandwagoneer. I am the product of a similar education, my first language is english (though some would say that my Newfoundland accent makes my English a whole different language) but i did undergo six years of french immersion in school. It was my choice but all day, everyday in school was in french. There is no better way to learn a language than to expose yourself to it as much as humanly possible. I tried to learn German in university but after a solid year of only three hours a week I can say "my eyes are blue", "I am from Canada" and "I do not speak German" whereas I have been to France and have worked on tugboats with 100% french crews and gotten along quite well. I would also like to point out that were I to move to a foreign country, I would not be coddled, I would have to learn the language, and quick.
  6. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

When I was learning English, my teachers always advised us to watch as much movies or t.v. channels in english as we could. My point is this is pedalogycal common sense. Shouldn't be a political issue; saddly it will...
  7. That is the only way to learn colloquial usage in any language, Bear. People usually don't actually speak like the textbooks teach, so the only real way to learn is to listen to native speakers. I went through the same process you did when I studied German. Your English, by the way, is quite excellent, Bear.
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Ahrnould, was on TV last night apologizing for his blunder. Seems the Libs can call for apologies from anyone anytime. Never heard Jessee J or Al notso Sharpton apologize for the Duke fiasco. :mad:

The liberal Media can't handle TRUTH & REALITY! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  9. obxned

obxned New Member

So I guess all those steroids really did shrivel his hanging down parts.
  10. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Thank you. And don't forget, a lot of reading and hanging around in Forums like this, would keep you sharp.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ursus has made his point, simply by posting in English, that it is possible to learn the language by using it, and his suggestions about TV, etc, have great merit, as well.
    Arnold had a wonderful idea, one that was once in use, many years ago, before all the 'Title' tagged Federal Mandates, about Bi-Lingual Education.
    The "Title I" program came about as a consequence of a lawsuit filed by a Chinaman, in San Francisco, when his family emigrated here, from China; he thought the kids were being 'held back' because all the instruction was in english, filed suit, and 'Bi-Lingual Education' became the law of the land!
    Had he simply sat down, shut up, and allowed his kids to be 'Mainstreamed', in English, as was then the practice,in California, and I suspect, the other 49 States, they would have been somewhat slowed in their education, for a couple of months, and then charged on; the bi-lingual program had and has the effect of reducing useful teaching time by 50%, and increasing tremendously, the time it takes for kids to (sometimes) learn English. I feel he did his kids a great disservice, as the older we get, the less apt we are at new language skills!
    Sorry for the lack of genitalia, on Arnold's part, when the Libs came calling for an apology, though, as they were owed none; he was/is absolutely right.