1. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Now some of you know that I like Math. Math is kind of neat,you see you can use more than one equation to get the correct answer but only one answer is totally correct. Maybe I just lost something in translation.Oh I can't take credit for this.I received it in an email,just thought you might like to read it though.:( catfish

>>> I guess I must be on the wrong
    >>> page…
    >>>
    >>> A
    >>> vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800
    >>> gallons a year of gasoline.

>>>
    >>>A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480
    >>> gallons a year.

>>> So, the average "Cash for Clunkers"
    >>> transaction will reduce US
    >>> gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per
    >>> year.

>>> They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million
    >>> gallons / year.

>>> That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

>>> 5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's
    >>> US consumption.
    >>> And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at
    >>> $70/bbl.

>>> So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion
    >>> to save $350 million.

>>> How good a deal was that ???

>>> They'll probably do a great
    >>> job with health care though!!
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Wonder who got the other $2,650,000,000. I think CBO needs to investigate and find out where all that money went, what it was used for and if any crimes have been committed. At the very least, there appears to be a problem in 'Truth In Advertising'. 88% of the money is unaccounted for. Oh, I see everyone will keep these cars 8 years and that is where the savings will be. I must be a big dummy.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Used cars means more consumer money. For instance with the way the Auto industry has jacked up prices on new cars it is more ecomical to keep your older vehicle than it is to go into debt for years to come on a new car. For instance take my wifes old GMC Safari van. That thing get 26 MPG on the HWY and has over 230,000 miles on it. And it qualifiys for the cash for clunkers. Why? I am not goin in debt for a new car or van just so the government program can work. The van aint broke or dying and even if I did have to put a new engine in it say at 5000 clams it is still a hole hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new car.

No government math is based on lining politicians pockets not for the good of the us economy. I wont buy into their logic.