Government Sets Its Sights on Private Retirement Accounts: “Giant Effort to Redistrib

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by graehaven, Nov 21, 2012.

1. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Re: Government Sets Its Sights on Private Retirement Accounts: “Giant Effort to Redis

What I think will happen is we are going to see some steep inflation. In the 70's we hit 20% inflation. Think what would happen to the money you have in your 401k or IRA if you lose 20% a year.

No one is talking about this as we have almost no inflation now. It's the only way this government can pay off the debt.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Government Sets Its Sights on Private Retirement Accounts: “Giant Effort to Redis

I dont think they care one bit about paying off the debt. They are printing money like its going out of style....and it is.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Pay off the Debt?? Name one Democrat that wants to pay off the debt? Answer (0). Name any Democrat that wants to increase the debt, Answer, (ALL).

Are you on Crack buy chance? :)
  5. gvw3

Steve thats the 2nd time you ask me if I was on crack. Are you?
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

No, are you?
  7. gvw3

No I am not on crack steve.
  8. armoredman

armoredman New Member

The government is on crack, the crack of free money. They've been eyeing retirement accounts for decades, the last untapped source of wealth they just couldn't get to...until now. Sometimes I wonder if it really is a good thing that my family medical history means I likely won't live to retirement.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

C'mon guys. What you choose to smoke on your own time is your business and shouldnt be used as an attack here. Mild as it is, leave it out.
  10. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA

I won't be alive till retirement so I really don't care. I have a feeling I'm going to going out with guns blazing in the 2nd Revolution.
  11. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Move along folks ! Nothing to see here ! "Godfather Reagan" opened this can of worms ! So all succeeding generations of elected hogs are doing is putting their trotters in his footprints at the slop trough ! Given the current political climate of "redistribution of wealth" fostered by ego-centric pols empowered by a corrupt voting process, supported by a sycophantic megalomaniacal media, there's little hope for a ret[urn to America's traditional values sans a revolution. I suspect all that remains is whether its by ballot or bullet. >MW
  12. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

Well...if the ballots aren't really being counted, then there's only one option.

And can you explain how it's all Reagans fault? Seems he was trying to work against a Democratic congress.
  13. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

I too would like to know how this is Reagens' fault. The popular opinion seems to think otherwise.
  14. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

There's another little mudpuddle coming around Feb, unless Congress fixes this mess. It was mentioned briefly on the news a couple days ago.

How many of y'all have taxes taken out at a level that will get you a big refund check?

If the fiscal mess doesn't get fixed very soon, you may get a IOU from the IRS instead of that refund you're expecting. :eek:

Here's some discussion from CNN about it: http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/27/news/economy/debt-ceiling/index.html?hpt=hp_bn3
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  15. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Some info on the Reagan legacy:

The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

I think basically, the idea is, that Reagan was not the economic "saint" he's made out to be. A little searching will reveal that he was much more of a spender than many remember. For one, he tripled the national debt, from $1 Trillion to $3 Trillion in his eight years.
  16. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

Again, it wasn't only Reagan, but the democratic congress that did most of the spending.
  17. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

A "conservative" republican president LED the way in the spending. He gave them what they wanted so he could get what he wanted. He played the great "game" of political compromise, expediency, and WE all lost.

End result: Outrageous spending and larger government.

(and he wasn't really conservative after all....) Yes, in his good ol' boy, homespun way, he screwed all of us. Thanks Ron. ;) :D
  18. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

The Reagan Boom" was funded by drawing down mandated pension fund reserves. With billions of "other peoples' money" marketeers went on a buying spree. Worthy investments were eventually replaced with executive largess the "barons" would have envied. (remember Ron Lay's "Oval Office" ?)

To Reagan's credit he did put some of the resulting revenue "windfall" into our military using it to bluff the Soviets over their financial cliff. >MW