GP 100 trigger problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, Nov 13, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I've been having problems with my (almost) new Ruger GP 100. Have only fired about 200 rds through it, but I have been dry firing it a lot over the last several months, more to practice my squeeze than to break in the piece. The result however is a very nice trigger pull. The problem is unless I release the trigger very rapidly it does not fully return. The feel on release is almost "crunchy". I don't notice this feel so much pulling the trigger.

I'm trying to find out exactly how I can smooth the trigger out so I can avoid returning the gun to Ruger. I'm hoping if there is less resistance the spring will be strong enough to fully return the trigger.

I found one link that detailed doing a Ruger trigger job and while there were illustrations, I need something like arrows to the exact spot to be filed or stoned. When I read something like "polish the trigger sear and hammer engagement surfaces" , my eyes start to glaze over. Does anyone have a link like "trigger jobs for dummies"?

If this doesn't work is there a stiffer trigger return spring available? I know there are lighter springs and that is what most people want when doing a trigger job, but that could only make my problem worse. If I were to find a heavier return spring would that make the trigger pull significantly heavier?

Will appreciate any help anyone can offer.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Stiffer trigger return spring will just make the trigger heavy. It may overcome the problem but may also make it worse. Don't worry about sear and hammer engagement and polishing those surfaces, they won't help your situation. When I get back I'll write some instructions on what to look for that is causing your issue. I'll get you a picture of the insides of a gp 100 to make it easier on ya.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

have you tried just shooting a bunch of cleaner then oil in the action? it's pretty easy to remove the trigger group on a ruger, although i cant remember how, i have done it. i'd guess it's just got some metal shavings left over from the factory
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Update. I removed the trigger return spring ...in pieces. It was broken into 5 pieces. I stretched one piece and it broke like plastic. I am scratching my head wondering why Ruger used something so brittle. So, I'll have to get a new one. Wondering if Ruger would just send me one as I haven't had it that long. It's not worth the shipping charge to send the whole revolver back to Ruger.
  5. johnlives4christ

you can send the gun back via ground ups or fedex. if is against their policy but there is no federal law requiring a firearm to go next day air. you cannot ship it through the post office unless you have a FFL.

i bet ruger would send you another one though.

you're right that is odd though, it isn't a common problem with rugers
  6. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'd write or call them. I'm guessing they'll send you a new spring. OR I think you can get one from Midway for about $2.50. Polishing the trigger on a GP100 is cake. If you remove the hammer and trigger assembly, which are easily done (I do this everytime I shoot and clean mine), you can take a look at the surfaces that need a little polishing. Be careful though, and don't cycle the trigger with that assembly removed, or you'll have springs flying all over the place that you'll never find ! I polished my GP100 trigger and it's pretty sweet now.
  7. johnlives4christ

didnt you have a problem with how the bore was lined up to the outside of the barrel? i'd send the gun in and complain about all the things wrong and get them to sweeten up the action to say sorry
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Yes I did John but after all is said and done, it is a purely cosmetic thing. It's something that likely only I will notice because I spent so many years as an inspector looking for things like semetry and making visual as well as measured comparisons in machined and hand finished parts. I like Ruger products but those things are examples of why Ruger is not S&W.

The thing about sending it back is that the cost of shipping is more than the cost of a spring, plus I read on the Ruger site that there is a charge just for them to look at it. Then they decide if they will charge for repairs or not. If there was something requiring expensive repairs I wouldn't hesitate to send it back. I think I'll probably just order some springs from Wolff.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Brittle spring?

The way you harden steel is to harden it to its maximum strength (and most brittle point) by heating it to red hot and then submerging it in either water or oil. That "freezes" the crystalline structure to give it that max strength. Then you heat the steel to a specific temperature (much, much lower temperature!) and hold it there for a specific time and let it air cool. It is called drawing down the hardness. This process converts the crystalline structure partially to a different state making it less than max hard and less brittle.

It seems your spring (probably supplied by someone other than Ruger itself) missed the drawing down step.

But there can be a rub to getting a new spring from Ruger. Certain parts are "restricted" and only sold to gunsmiths as they require, in Ruger's estimation, professional installation. As I look at Brownells Factory Parts List for the GP100, the trigger return spring is not listed there which probably means it is a restricted part. There is probably no way they will send you the part but it certainly does not hurt to ask. Wolff has no such reservations and probably has a spring kit for your gun. Brownells doesn't list one from them but one from Wilson Combat:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26186/Product/_246_RUGER_GP100_SPRING_KIT

LDBennett
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Just get the spring kit from wolff and be done with it. Wolff springs are better than the factory springs anyway. Get the shooters pack. I think LD is right on the restricted part but only bc they want to cover that under warranty. I've done the spring installation on both the GP100 and SP101 (same trigger set up) There is no fitting involved. Just put the springs in.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/GP-100/cID3/mID52/dID233
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  11. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Fed law does not require a ffl to send a gun through the USPS to a dealer or FFl gunsmith for repair; you cannot send to an unlicensed individual. A particular state law may, but I am not aware of any. The post office will require a short form which is very easy to fill out. I never use UPS or Fed Ex to ship even with a license due to the expense and have several customers in Ca. to New York that send guns on a regular basis.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There is so much confusion about shipping a gun. Some USPS and UPS drop stores don't know the rules and many will not touch guns or even a package of "gun" parts. Perhaps the local post office is better informed but based on problems I have had with some of them, I think some if not most are idiots.

Then there is the CA law that implies (??) that any firearm shipped to CA requires a "permission" letter from the CA Attorney General. It is just another form but no dealer is suppose to accept any gun without the letter and is suppose to return it to sender if the letter is missing from the packaging. Then dealers tell me that handguns have to be shipped one day or over night (??). What confusion, which is exactly what the government wants to make gun ownership so onerous that we will give up owning guns. It may be working!

Repairs to guns are different but I don't really know what applies in CA to what. I just fix my own guns to avoid having to ship them anywhere. Many years ago I sent guns back to manufactures for repairs but the rules have all changed since the last gun I sent out.

LDBennett
  13. johnlives4christ

the local gunsmith told me that you can ship usps a long gun without a license but needed to hold a FFL in order to ship a handgun.

since i work at a place that has regular fed ex pic up i just box it up and send it ground. i do pay the shipping, but i am not asked whats in the box