Grad student suspended after pro-gun-rights e-mail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by satellite66, Oct 11, 2007.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Isn't it wonderful how our institutions of higher learning are so open minded and accepting of differing views?

Read the story
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

I would be finding a new college. One of the reason i like going threw the mail no liberal hippy teachers.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Quote:" A professor at Brooklyn College who believes the suspension was unjustified said he was nevertheless "dismayed that (Scheffler) has progressed to the master's degree level without having mastered some aspects of basic grammar." "

What did he really EXPECT?

It's not like many of our "Institutions of Higher Learning" TEACH it any more, since they spend so MUCH time on "Diversity Training" and "Minority Studies" requirements....
  4. I wish I could disagree with you on that observation, Polish, but to a very large degree at least, I cannot, especially as it pertains to some of the so-called "prestigious" schools of this nation. There are still some instructors out there, myself among them, who believe that the "old" values are still worthy of instruction, and who simply ignore all the utter BS that the vast majority of our textbooks and curriculums promulgate. As you know, I teach history, and the textbooks I'm saddled with these days devote far too many of their pages to "the contributions of minorities" and left-wing politics instead of the facts of what actually happened.
  5. BillP

BillP New Member

United Methodist Church

In the past The United Methodist Church has been on the side of the anti. gun folks. Not the members but the national organization. It surprises me that they would take such a stance here in MN. As with so many organizations who have fallen for the faulty arguments of the anti. gun crowd, this is no doubt just a matter of the silent majority being all too silent. I don't know where the UMC stands on the issue now but it behooves all of us who are members of religious and other groups to find out where their organization stands on this important issue. If you find your organization has taken a stance in opposition to your views, speak up.

I have several friends who are teachers and associated with the NEA. To a man/woman, they decry the stance their organization has taken in relation to the second amendment. However none of them has ever done anything about it.
  6. henry0reilly

henry0reilly New Member

souix them!

re: grammar/spelling - this guy is positively brilliant in that department compared to 95% of the undergraduates I attended IUPUI with 2001-2006. One must assume he drafted the email and sent it without review or spell check.

I'd guess this guy has a good lawsuit against the school.
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Only in America...:(
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Be carefull Lohki.... no matter how much you learn thru one of those correspondance courses thru the mail or email... some potential employers will laugh at the mention of such courses when considering a job application. Its hard to beat going to classes and getting the college credits that come with it....

mike
    gn
  9. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Nationally accredited. Military sees it as associates degree good enough for me.Need to finish it before i join up though. After i get my associates from http://www.pennfoster.edu/ i plan on getting my Bachelors degree from http://www.amu.apus.edu/Academics/Degree-Programs/index.htm?GCID=S15412x009&KEYWORD=amu&MATCHTYPE=search And after that most likely try for my masters all in Criminal Justice. That and military experience and some brains maybe i can get into a federal agency. There are a lot of degree mills out there but i know some people who have associate degrees from PennFoster.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  10. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Pistol S:
    Admire you for making the, (considerable), to offer your students 'real history' as opposed to the trash in so many recent text book editions I've seen. Told my three for years their knowledge of history will pay off in a lot of money saved and more security than a good job. With a good knowledge of history one can see trends early enough to take advantage, avoid common pitfalls, and recognize BS - whatever the source or substantiation......

I suspect America's greatest educational failing has been in the degradation in the quality of instructors and subject matter. Grade inflation plays a part in this, I know, but history is a basic tool of democracy and no workman produces a quality product without tools - or a shoddy knowledge of them. >MW