Grade School Reunion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muley, Jan 23, 2006.

1. muley

muley New Member

I promised you that I would report on the grade school reunion that Mrs muley and I attended while down in the desert a couple of weeks ago. Here it is.......
    Basically, it was much like the last one 10 years ago. Only, instead of 300 people showing up, only about 150 survivors made it this time. I guess that should been expected, being as how the school closed down in 1958.
    Again, the reunion was open for everyone who ever attended the old school. No one seems to know when it was built, but my dad was attending it in 1912 because I still have a note from his teacher to my grandmother. The teacher had sent him home from school saying that he was “incorrigible”. My grandmother, not graduating from grade school herself, always said she had to wait until my dad was schooled enough to tell her what the word meant. Then, she whipped him.

The youngest person at the reunion this time was 57 years old and the oldest was 82. I saw folks this time that I hadn't seen in the previous reunion, so I'm glad we were there again. Sadly, though, many had passed on in the ten years since we had the last one. So, everyone agreed to have another reunion in five years. Time is not forgiving........

Like in the previous reunion, people came in suits and others came in T-shirts. However, soon, all the ties were off and everyone was laughing, grinning, smiling, shouting and having the times of their lives. It was great. I can't adequately describe this whole thing.

Too bad we couldn't find a bag of marbles. We might even have had a game or too.......I still think I could have beat the champ of '48. Yeah, she was there too. Grandmother of eight.
    muley
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Glad you hear it went well for you.
    I have never been to any reunion.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I think that's a neat idea to have a school-wide reunion. The reunions I have attended have all been for my specific class. Sometimes you wonder what has happened with school mates a year or two ahead of or behind your class. This would be a great way to catch up with everyone.

Glad you had a good time, Muley. :)
  4. muley

muley New Member

Southernmoss.......That's the beauty of being born and growing up in a small farming community, I think. People stay and grow old together or go away, but keep in touch.
    My grandfather built a house there and raised my dad, who in turn raise me and my two brothers there. One brother was born in the house and still sleeps in the same room in which he was born. He is 75 yrs old. You could say he never had the wander lust........ :) :)
    muley